British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   change to LTTSL (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/change-lttsl-741453/)

4pommes Dec 9th 2011 6:47 pm

change to LTTSL

HELP!!!!!
Was going to move out in 2013 when I finish my BA Hons in Early Years as there has always been a shortage of early years teachers.
As from the 5th my job has been removed from the long term shortage list!!!
Does this mean that I have no chance of getting into NZ now (hubby has no quals)? My brother has residency but mine and hubby's mums still living...think they won't allow family route in this situation.

Please help...been planning this for 2 years now and feel gutted!!!

j19fmm Dec 9th 2011 7:11 pm

Re: change to LTTSL

Originally Posted by 4pommes (Post 9779763)
HELP!!!!!
Was going to move out in 2013 when I finish my BA Hons in Early Years as there has always been a shortage of early years teachers.
Does this mean that I have no chance of getting into NZ now (hubby has no quals)? My brother has residency but mine and hubby's mums still living...think they won't allow family route in this situation.

Not sure a British Early Years Degree has ever been recognised by NZQA. :(

4pommes Dec 9th 2011 7:14 pm

there have already been a few people I know of whose degree has been accepted...has to be honours though to be converted to level 7.

Without job being on shorthage list our points would be 110. If i was offered a job then this increases to 160.....could go out on visitor visa and knock on doors...

BEVS Dec 11th 2011 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by 4pommes (Post 9779763)
HELP!!!!!
Does this mean that I have no chance of getting into NZ now (hubby has no quals)?

It means that the occupation doesn't carry bonus points. It also means that anyone offering you a job will have to prove there is no NZ citizen or resident that could take that work.

The occupation would still be seen as skilled so if you had enough points you could take a punt. Your qualification needs to match the required NZ standard.

My brother has residency but mine and hubby's mums still living...think they won't allow family route in this situation.
Sounds doubtful.

MOSO Dec 12th 2011 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by 4pommes (Post 9779811)
.....could go out on visitor visa and knock on doors...

I certainly wouldn't recommend this route. There sure is a surplus of NZ qualified Early Years and Primary school teachers (who can also teach in Early Years) at the moment. Only about 20% of graduates from the Teacher Training degree I'm doing have got jobs this year nationally and round here there are over 90 applications per job:thumbdown:

I know it's not the news you want to hear, but it's the reality on the ground so to speak which I assume is why teachers have been removed from the skills list.

I would investigate the family route if you can. Good luck.

BEVS Jun 10th 2012 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 9784439)
I certainly wouldn't recommend this route. There sure is a surplus of NZ qualified Early Years and Primary school teachers (who can also teach in Early Years) at the moment. Only about 20% of graduates from the Teacher Training degree I'm doing have got jobs this year nationally and round here there are over 90 applications per job:thumbdown:

I know it's not the news you want to hear, but it's the reality on the ground so to speak which I assume is why teachers have been removed from the skills list.

I would investigate the family route if you can. Good luck.

To add.
The OP would not be eligible for family sponsorship as her Mum is living in her current country of residence, the UK.

MOSO Jun 11th 2012 5:48 am

Useful links: http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/teaching-...ined-teachers/ and http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/teaching-...or-principals/

Do ensure if you are coming over on a visitor's visa that you are aware of these rules and that you have enough money to last you a while to give you time to build up contacts.

Are you able to come over on a reccie first and see if it's for you as the job situation in teaching at the moment is dire and you don't want to be stuck here having spent a fortune emigrating?