British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Chances of success without an agent? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/chances-success-without-agent-681887/)

NettieBubble Aug 19th 2010 12:57 pm

Chances of success without an agent?

Hi all

I have done a few free online assessments with immigration agents and they have all come back saying that the only chance my partner and I have of getting in to New Zealand would be to get a job offer. Neither of us has a degree and we have no relatives in NZ so the job offer is key to our success. Our occupations are not on the short or long term shortage lists either. Judging by what I have found out so far, the chances of us securing a job offer without using a licenced agent are very slim. No job offer without a visa and no visa without a job offer. I feel confident that I would be able to complete all the relevant forms and paperwork myself but really can't see how we could secure a job offer without the help of a professional. The money isn't an issue for us. We are child and mortgage free so have a substantial amount of savings which we could use if necessary but would obviously rather hang on to that money if possible.

I would be so grateful for any thoughts or advice you might have.

Jeanette

Woodlea Aug 19th 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Chances of success without an agent?

I think everyone will tell you to forget agents as they won't get you a job and you end up doing most of the work anyway. From what I've read on here most people say come for a holiday, front up to employers and try and get a job and then apply for a visa. Good luck.

NettieBubble Aug 19th 2010 3:57 pm

Doesn't an employer have to prove that they can't find a NZ resident to fill the position though? Does that still apply to accredited employers. I'm an accounts manager and my partner is a bricklayer and plant operator, both of which I would imagine are pretty common in NZ.

Woodlea Aug 19th 2010 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by NettieBubble (Post 8788175)
Doesn't an employer have to prove that they can't find a NZ resident to fill the position though? Does that still apply to accredited employers. I'm an accounts manager and my partner is a bricklayer and plant operator, both of which I would imagine are pretty common in NZ.

I believe if they have been advertising the position and haven't found a suitable applicant then they have proved that they haven't found a Kiwi to fill the role. Trouble with agents is they promise the earth in order to get your money. I don't know how common accounts managers are - should imagine there are plenty of brickies looking for work at the moment.

simonsi Aug 19th 2010 7:06 pm

Doesn't an employer have to prove that they can't find a NZ resident to fill the position though?

Yes they do. Except...

Does that still apply to accredited employers.

No, axxredited employers jump through all those hoops beforehand so can make job offers freely once accredited. However most employers are not accredited and they tend to be in certain areas such as medical etc.

Do the points indicator on the NZIS website, that is what all the Immi agencies must refer back to so you have already had experience of how they work, doing something you can do yourself quite easily and for free - some of them quote extortionate fees and others quote higher - and with no guarantees of job, visa or anything...

Pointer Aug 19th 2010 7:44 pm

Neiter of us have a job offer and havent even applied for jobs but we have PR, NZ target April 2011 - where who knows.

agents - we used them for free information then did it ourselves. time from EOI submitted to PR total 8 months and about a week.

Form filling is a pain but you can do it yourself after all its your information that you are giving to someone to fill the form in for you. anybody could do this for you unfortunately only an approved agent can submit the form on your behalf. save the money do it yourself and upgrade to business class on the way out there with the money saved.

NettieBubble Aug 19th 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks so much for all the responses. I have done the points indicator on the NZ immigration web site and it only gives us 105 with my other half as the primary applicant. We don't meet the threshold of 100 with me as the primary applicant because I have no qualifications other than my O levels. My other half does have a City and Guilds in bricklaying. I don't think anyone has been selected from the pool with less than 115 points for a very long time so I do think one of us will need to get a job offer to stand any chance at all.

Toon_Nut Aug 19th 2010 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by NettieBubble (Post 8787917)
a substantial amount of savings which we could use

Hi, I'm certainly no expert but could you not come in as an investor in a business or go self employed?