British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Chances of getting SMC - Work to Residence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/chances-getting-smc-work-residence-879272/)

swami Jun 22nd 2016 12:53 pm

Chances of getting SMC - Work to Residence

Dear all,

I am applying along with my spouse and kids for NZ PR. Just begun with the process now with the Qualification assessment. I went through the SMC stages and noticed about getting a Work visa for 9 months and subsequently converting it into the Residence Visa, after getting the job. Here are my questions

1. Will it happen to all the applicants without a valid NZ job or valid job NZ offer ?
2. Since I claimed point for both my spouse and myself, and together we cross the magic number 140, is it not prudent to provide the work to residence visa to both, considering that both are equally capable of getting a job offer, this can actually increase the chance of settling sooner. is it not ?
3. Is there any criteria other than the interview performance that can gauge whether a person will be provided Residence or Work to Residence Visa ?
4. What percentage generally go through this ?

thank you

escapedtonz Jun 24th 2016 2:02 am

Re: Chances of getting SMC - Work to Residence

1. Nope. It depends how the CO feels you will manage to get a job and settle. Whether the CO offers you a Resident Visa, Job Search visa in lieu of a Resident Visa or a decline is at their discretion.
2. There always has to be a principal applicant in this type of application and that is the person who will be considered for work. All people on the application will receive resident visa if the CO decides to approve for the principal applicant. I understand where you are coming from though. If there are two people in different skilled occupations then yes the chances of getting a skilled permanent job and settling is doubled but I don't think Immigration look at it that way. In our application we were the same but my wife was on maternity leave so we didn't want her to be considered for work by immigration.
3. Nope. At the discretion of the CO. Don't think a Work To Residence Visa is offered this way any more?
4. Unable to say as each application is treated individually. If you provide evidence of the EOI points claim and you demonstrate to the CO at interview that you'll be able to get a job and settle then you should be approved for RV.

Pomplemous Jun 25th 2016 10:29 am

Sorry, what's CO? Just cos I'm following this answer. Not sure of lingo. Customs officer is my guess

escapedtonz Jun 25th 2016 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Pomplemous (Post 11984017)
Sorry, what's CO? Just cos I'm following this answer. Not sure of lingo. Customs officer is my guess

You'd be no good on Family Fortunes :lol:

Case Officer....as in Immigration case Officer.

Pomplemous Jun 25th 2016 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 11984065)
You'd be no good on Family Fortunes :lol:

Case Officer....as in Immigration case Officer.

Ha ha. We asked 100 people what CO meant... you'd not have thought I've spent hours researching the immigration websites and immigration agency chats and everything I thought I'd learned washed away by half an hour on this site.
I'm gutted.
It suddenly feels utterly impossible.
But....well I figure I'm probably going to fail but it's not because I stopped trying...

So the only stupid question is the one not asked. I'd rather look like a dimwit with a stupid question but learn the answer than not ask and get it wrong later.