CENTRE OF GRAVITY:PARENTS

Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:36 pm
Imz
Forum Regular

Imz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant future
Default CENTRE OF GRAVITY:PARENTS

Hi All,

Could someone shed some light on the centre of gravity rule.My brother is thinking of living in new zealand,would he need permanent residency status, before me and my parents can retire in Nz and I can live and work in Nz. Or would I need to go to Nz and also achieve permanent residency before my parents can come over?

Does anyone understand this link?
http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/centreofgravity.htm

Thanks for your time,
Immzy
Old Sep 27th 2009, 7:53 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CENTRE OF GRAVITY:PARENTS

AFAIK your brother would have to a permanent resident in NZ for 3 years before he could sponsor his parents, under the current rules. Last I heard these applications were being dealt with in date of application order and were quoted as taking 2-3 years to process. Your brother would be solely responsible for at least the first 2 years for all your parents needs (housing, money, medical needs etc) should they run into problems.

The centre of gravity rule determines whether they are eligible to be sponsored by your brother. If they have two children in the UK and one in NZ then their COG is UK. If they have one child in UK and two in NZ then COG is NZ.

The NZIS website gives very detailed information and a step by step guide to the process of sponsoring. There is also a table giving various scenerios, like 1 child UK, 1 child AN other country and 1 NZ etc and where the COG is for each of those scenarios.

You can email NZIS with any more specific questions you might have.

I am not sure about your brother sponsoring you as well as your parents. I do not think there is currently a retirement visa for NZ. If your being here means that your parents COG would then be here, then it might be that you would have to apply for permanent residency in your own right. I believe this would be separate to your brother's residency and his ability to sponsor your parents after he has been here 3 years.

Like I said, this is just as far as I am aware and I could well be wrong. I have not done this personally and would advise you to contact NZIS via their website to ask specific questions.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 5:11 pm
Imz
Forum Regular

Imz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant futureImz has a brilliant future

Hi Team Embo,

Thanks for your response. Woh so it take some time for all four of us to move over. My brother wants to go towards the end of next year and once he get PR we defo want my parents to move over. I hope the waiting list isnt too long ....esp like Oz where it can be a 10 year waiting list!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

How many children do your parents have ? You only mention two sons/brothers
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Imz
Hi All,

Could someone shed some light on the centre of gravity rule.My brother is thinking of living in new zealand,would he need permanent residency status, before me and my parents can retire in Nz and I can live and work in Nz. Or would I need to go to Nz and also achieve permanent residency before my parents can come over?

Does anyone understand this link?
http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/centreofgravity.htm

Thanks for your time,
Immzy

The NZ Immigration website also mentions in the Family visa category that the sponsor must be in receipt of a minimum earnings figure in order to qualify as a sponsor, so that is something else that would need to be considered.

The site also gives examples of where the earnings can be obtained from.

Nearly everything you will need to know can be found on the Immigration website.