Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Catch 22 and totally lost! - moved to Immigration

Catch 22 and totally lost! - moved to Immigration

Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Location: Currently live in Colchester Essex and would love to swap it for Christchurch in NZ!
Austins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant future
Cool Catch 22 and totally lost! - moved to Immigration

I am a working mummy with two teenage children and after a year of discussions with them and my other half, who is a carpenter by trade of more than 20 years we have decided to move to NZ. A HUGE step for us as we have never been further than Europe. We have put our home on the market and are now de-cluttering and wondering what to take and what to leave behind.. confused or what!?!?

After trying to do the forms ourselves, we seem to be in a catch 22 situation, my other half is a carpenter with a gold CSCS card which doesnt seem to be recognised in NZ and only way I can see to get out there is on a skilled sponsored visa. Without a job offer, does anyone know how else we can approach this wall? All I can see is the end result.. pretty as they look I think we have huge mountains to climb first.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:21 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catch 22 and totally lost! - moved to Immigration

Originally Posted by Austins View Post
I am a working mummy with two teenage children and after a year of discussions with them and my other half, who is a carpenter by trade of more than 20 years we have decided to move to NZ. A HUGE step for us as we have never been further than Europe. We have put our home on the market and are now de-cluttering and wondering what to take and what to leave behind.. confused or what!?!?
Hi Austins. As you will see , I have moved your query into the Immigration Forum. That's just so more folks that browse to help with Immigration queries will see it. Also, Introductions threads are closed after a week.
You may like to put a new intro thread telling us a little about yourselves into Introductions.

Originally Posted by Austins View Post

After trying to do the forms ourselves, we seem to be in a catch 22 situation, my other half is a carpenter with a gold CSCS card which doesnt seem to be recognised in NZ and only way I can see to get out there is on a skilled sponsored visa. Without a job offer, does anyone know how else we can approach this wall? All I can see is the end result.. pretty as they look I think we have huge mountains to climb first.
I'm not quite sure where you have been looking for your information. Have you been looking at the New Zealand Immigration website?

The Skilled Migrant Category.

The first thing you should do is The Points Indicator. Come back and tell us how many points you think your family can claim. You want to see over 100 . The more points the better.

When it comes to claiming points for a skilled trade, your husband will need to have a bit more than a CSCS card. He should also have his City and Guild certificates ( either C&G 1 and 2 advanced or a more modern C&G/NVQ level 3 , proof of apprenticeship /training & work experience. If he has this , then you can confidently claim 50 points for his trade skill.
His UK qualifications, work exp and training has to match the level set by NZ immigration. The level for a carpenter/joiner is level 4. If he has the above he should be OK to be seen as a level 4 tradesman.

If he doesn't have the formal qualifications and training , then years of work experience may substitute .

As the trade is on the long term shortage list , you can claim bonus points for absolute shortage.

If you do the points indicator and feel you don't have enough points , then yes, you have to think of obtaining a job offer. There is no easy way to do this from the UK. Most builders and trade firms like people to be here in NZ and able to start.

You could send your husband here on a reccy with a view to him getting a job offer. He could go back to the UK with this offer and you can claim the extra points for the job offer. If your NZ employer needed him to start whilst waiting for the Residency application to go through, then he could apply for a temporary work visa to get you and the family here and started. ( The kids would need student visas)

Otherwise, you could take the risk of arriving here on visitors visas and hope he finds work whilst here. You would then apply for temporary work permits and bang in the Residency application.

Of course, you can blitz the NZ yellow pages, trade recruitment companies , job vacancy sites and see if you can come up trumps with a job offer from afar. You will have to educate many of the employers that it is a job offer first BEFORE a work visa & that they can legally offer your husband a job because his trade is on the long term shortage list. Giving the prospective employer a timeline as to when your husband would start might entice the employer to take your husband on.

Another place to look is the expos they have around the UK. Sometimes tradesmen are taken on via the exhibitors at these fairs.

There is also the accredited employers list . One of those companies may be hiring carpenters. You never know.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Location: Currently live in Colchester Essex and would love to swap it for Christchurch in NZ!
Austins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant futureAustins has a brilliant future
Default Re: Catch 22 and totally lost! - moved to Immigration

Bevs, thank you so much for your detailed answer, really very much appreciated.
Thanks again