British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Carpentry qualification recognition (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/carpentry-qualification-recognition-717335/)

telboy1964 May 17th 2011 11:30 am

Carpentry qualification recognition

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problems as myself with getting their apprnticeship qualifications recognised.
In march 2011we started the application for residence in NZ.
As people are aware the criteria asks for evidence regarding health, character, work experience, qualifications, job offer etc.
Speaking from my own experience it seems to have been one set back after another.
In 2004 I actually worked in New Zealand and held residence for around a year at which time I had to return home due to family problems. After a period of time sort of settled back into into my old life in a good job but yearned to return to NZ where I had been very happy.
Earlier this year my wife was made redundant and I was ready for a change so we decided to go for it again.
Got a job offer over internet and felt confident in applying.
Did EOI and was asked to apply. This is where the problems started.
I was asked to supply evidence of work experience, qualifications, job offer and character and health.
I supplied a huge amount of evidence of previous work experience, including proof of employment, references, p45s, p60s, letter from previous employers etc. I also pointed out that I had already had the experience of previous employment proved on my previous application and actually provided extra proof of experience from the last five years. The response from NZ Immigration was totally negative but after a period of email they decided that they would accept 10 years experience.
Now to my qualifications and I can imagine that this has been a problem with people og my generation.
I am 46 years old and did a full indentured apprnticeship in Carpentry and joinery.
The prblem has arisen due to the fact that even though my apprenticeship was administered by the CITB who are on the recognised list of accreditted awarding traing bodies the qualification was actually issued by the NJCBI (National Joint Council for the Building Industry) who are not on the recognised list of awarding bodies. I have sent all manner of information including my training agreement, proof of the CITB,s role. I have even got a representative from NZQA to email Immigration NZ to confirm that this apprenticeship was run through the CITB. I have paid NZQA to get it recognised, but still it will not be accepted. The apprenticeship was broken up into 2 period with the first 2 years being under NJCBI and then I progressed onto the Advanced City and Guilds course and subsequently qualified. They will not accept my further qualifications because of the apprenticeship which was as my experience accepted on my previous application. As anyone who is going through this knows it is extremely frustrating. At present I am now in limbo because without my qualifications I will not be allowed the Residence Visa.
As I have a confirmed job offer I am looking to travel to New Zealand and apply for a work visa.

Anyone any ideas??

Cheers

Terry

hazeandsteve May 17th 2011 8:41 pm

Re: Carpentry qualification recognition

Ask for your case officer's supervisor to have a chat with NZQA.
They are being very pedantic at the moment what with the current unemployment here. Sis in law was within a week of deportation until they met and explained unusual circumstances.
The fact that you have a job offer opens up the work to residency doesn't it?