Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Carpenter needing advice on SMC application

Carpenter needing advice on SMC application

Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:20 am
Just Joined

tanglefoot has a spectacular aura abouttanglefoot has a spectacular aura abouttanglefoot has a spectacular aura about
Default Carpenter needing advice on SMC application

Hello bevs
could you please advise me on my best next move on my smc visa
having visited nelson in may ,the wife and I and the children 4no all loved nelson .hoping to move aug o8 ,which is after are eldest has finished her exams.
selected from pool 14 aug ,14 nov returned to pool having claimed 25 more points then I should have as I have been graded as a level 3 carpenter/joiner not a 4 and lost 25 points as I could not claim points for the occupants short list
now we are in the pool again until 14feb with 100 points ,have be told that if we can secure a job offer to go on are application to let them know
my plan
house is for sale ,slow market
let are application run until feb if we get selected with out a job offer then good,if not then start looking for job offers around april ,may,. Im thinking
about flying over to knock on some doors. I did not feel as thew I can ask people to offer me a job for 8 months time as we have got to wait until aug because of schooling (exams)
With a job offer you can get throw the system withing 14 weeks?
and hopefully the house will be sold and I may have a plan that holds water
please advise ,as this plan may be full of holes!!!!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:47 pm
Leeds to Nelson

Heal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really niceHeal is just really nice
Default Re: Carpenter needing advice on SMC application

I'm a carpenter hopefully going to Nelson in April. I was in Nelson in September and there was lots of Jobs.I was assessed as level 4 and picked from the pool 1st time last March we received ITA in August and are now just waiting to get a case officer.Because we're going without a job offer it does take some time.
To be honest if I'd known it would take so long we may have considered going on a work permit then apply for pr when over there.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by tanglefoot
Hello bevs
could you please advise me on my best next move on my smc visa
having visited nelson in may ,the wife and I and the children 4no all loved nelson .hoping to move aug o8 ,which is after are eldest has finished her exams.
Great choice of location

selected from pool 14 aug ,14 nov returned to pool having claimed 25 more points then I should have as I have been graded as a level 3 carpenter/joiner not a 4 and lost 25 points as I could not claim points for the occupants short list
What qualifications do you have then please?
Did you do a PAR with NZQA?

PAR = preliminary assessment
NZQA - New Zealand Qualification Authority.

now we are in the pool again until 14feb with 100 points ,have be told that if we can secure a job offer to go on are application to let them know
Yup. A job offer will up those points. Make sure the job offer is carpenter/joiner and that you are paid the 'going rate'.

my plan
house is for sale ,slow market
let the application run until feb - if we get selected with out a job offer then good,if not then start looking for job offers around april ,may.
Im thinking about flying over to knock on some doors. I did not feel as though I can ask people to offer me a job for 8 months time as we have got to wait until aug because of schooling (exams)
Sounds good to me. When you are looking for that job offer, make sure you are very fair with the employer about when you will arrive to start work in NZ. You wouldn't want to lose the job offer because you cannot meet the start date.
Altho9ugh August is Winter here, there should still be job vacancies for carpenters around the place.

Be prepared to start a work permit/visa application to get you here.
Then you can re-apply for PR starting with a new EOI.

With a job offer you can get through the system withing 14 weeks?
and hopefully the house will be sold and I may have a plan that holds water
please advise ,as this plan may be full of holes!!!!
NZIS will prioritize PR applications with a job offer to help the NZ employer. There is no guarantee that it would be 14 weeks though, or any other length of time. Depends on their workload and how easily the application checks go. All sorts of matters can delay an application.

That's why I suggest you commence a work visa/permit application to get you to NZ and then apply for PR.

Now then - what about those UK quals ?
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

tanglefoot has a spectacular aura abouttanglefoot has a spectacular aura abouttanglefoot has a spectacular aura about

hello bev
thanks for the reply , just needed to hear some positive feed back on you plan.
with ref to qualifications I did a par with nzqa
I have a 3 year fully signed up apprenticeship
city and guilds carpentry /joinery
but having attending collage for two years doing the advanced c&g carpentry /joinery I passed all but the written exam.(yes I do kick my self now)
I all so have in excess of 20 years experience in the carpentry /joinery and general building trade
I have been assessed as a level 3
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Heal
I'm a carpenter hopefully going to Nelson in April. I was in Nelson in September and there was lots of Jobs.I was assessed as level 4 and picked from the pool 1st time last March we received ITA in August and are now just waiting to get a case officer.Because we're going without a job offer it does take some time.
To be honest if I'd known it would take so long we may have considered going on a work permit then apply for pr when over there.
I think the work permit may be the way to go ,thank you .now that Ive got that worked out .next hurdle selling the house!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:40 pm
`

hello bev
but having attending collage for two years doing the advanced c&g carpentry /joinery I passed all but the written exam.(yes I do kick my self now)
I all so have in excess of 20 years experience in the carpentry /joinery and general building trade
HHmm. I wonder if a full NZQA assessment might get you a level 4 then?

Although you only have a 3 yr apprenticeship instead of a 4 yr one , the 20 years work experience may count for something I think.
NZIS are bringing in changes to the SMC category on Feb 4th. They are adopting ANZSCO
please click the link which shows standards for Carpenters.

I am wondering in particular about this
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Can't be sure if it would help. This ANZSCO thing is new.

Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

hello bev
Hi.
Just to let you know what happened to us, my oh has the following qualifications, we were very worried that he would only get a level 3 because he did not do his advanced but when we sent of Quals to NZQA he got a level 4. (He failed he advanced like yourself and did not resit)

City & Guilds
Carpentry and Joinery (Third) year (Year completed I think was 1983)

Was successful in the following components

Craft theory associated subjects and industrial studies Distinction
Practical Course Work Distinction
Practical Test Distinction
General and Communication Studies Distinction

Separate certificate is for his completed apprenticeship

He also got a Level 4 for his Cad.

Have you sent your quals off to NZQA?

Any question, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Regards
Karen
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi Karen
I am now sending quals to nzqa as I only did a par assessment before and I
did not include my advanced craft as I did not think thay can assess me on a part qual?
par ,c&g craft carpentry and joinery and a 3 year apprentaship with the NATIONAL JOINT COUNCIL FOR THE BUILDING INDUSTRY.
thank you for you help
and does any body know IF I drop out of the pool at the start of feb is the any time limit to stop me form reapplying
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:26 am
`

Good idea and all fingers and toes crossed for you. Have some karma .