can you advise me

Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:21 am
Just Joined

alexmead184 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile can you advise me

I, a UK citizen, am currently in NZ with my NZ partner on an initial visitor work visa and have been advised to apply for an extension and then to apply for a temp partner residency. Until I do the latter I understand I am not entitled to claim NZ medical care. As I have travelled a lot the last 5 years, my entitlement to UK health care may well cease in Oct. What can you suggest re medical insurance for ex pats before they are entitled to NZ health care? Any advise welcome
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:36 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can you advise me

you will be covered for health care but you will have to pay, not have PR just means you will have to pay more than someone with PR.
Also you cannot get a visitors work visa so what visa are you actually on? as you may well have the right to the reduce medical costs already
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 8:31 am
Just Joined

I have been told by immigration to apply on form 1198 for the Partnership based temporary visa once my current visa expires in Oct. Once I have this I will then apply for residency. While I am on the partnership visa I think I may need to have medical insurance to cover possible medical expenses. Can you clarify?
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 9:23 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

but what visa are you on at the moment, you cannot be in a visitors visa and work? also why wait until your current visa has expired, if you met the criteria for the partnership visa now you may as well start the application
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
but what visa are you on at the moment, you cannot be in a visitors visa and work? also why wait until your current visa has expired, if you met the criteria for the partnership visa now you may as well start the application

We need to live together for 12 months prior to being granted a partnership visa.....hence, why I am applying for an extension to my current 1 year, which I am told will be dealt with quickly and then when I have the extension I will have time to apply for the residency which takes longer, while remaining in NZ. We have spent a few years together already but travelling together not living in a home in NZ, hence the delay.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 7:49 pm

so you are on a temp work visa, not just a standard visitors visa? can you not up lift visa through job ?

as for medical issues you will be covered for some things but may have to pay more than some do dependant on what actual visa you are on at the moment.