British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Can I gain a work visa on the back of my girlfriend's work visa ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/can-i-gain-work-visa-back-my-girlfriends-work-visa-787045/)

soccer203 Feb 11th 2013 7:29 pm

Can I gain a work visa on the back of my girlfriend's work visa ?

and i are thinking of relocating to NEW ZEALAND, she is canadian and im a temporary foreign worker here in canada. I am from Croatia originally. she is a skilled worker and has a job offer there. what are our options, can i get a work permit based on her job offer. would us getting married help us in any way ? thank you

BEVS Feb 11th 2013 8:02 pm

Re: my girlfriend

Originally Posted by soccer203 (Post 10538428)
and i are thinking of relocating to NEW ZEALAND, she is canadian and im a temporary foreign worker here in canada. I am from Croatia originally. she is a skilled worker and has a job offer there. what are our options, can i get a work permit based on her job offer. would us getting married help us in any way ? thank you

Hi there.
I've been looking over your past posts to try and get a feel of where you are at. It can sometimes help.

No. Getting married will make no difference at all.

How long have you been with your girlfriend please? I can't see any previous mention of her, apart from a post by username 'crybaby' talking about a US partner.

edit... I've also tweaked your thread title to better reflect your query.

soccer203 Feb 11th 2013 8:16 pm

Re: Can I gain a work visa on the back of my girlfriend's work visa ?

since august 2012. so what are our options?

BEVS Feb 11th 2013 8:53 pm

since august 2012. so what are our options?
You are welcome . Happy to help.

Her option is to come here and take up her employment . If her work is seen as skilled, she could go on to apply to become NZ resident.
As job opportunities can be a little hard to come by , I'd say well done to her.

If you can prove a long term, ongoing, stable relationship then you would apply for a temp work visa under the 'family stream' on the back of her application

From what you write though, this is a new relationship of under one year duration so I am not sure that NZIS will be happy it meets their criteria.
Still. Nothing to stop you trying is there.

Originally Posted by NZIS
Factors that have a bearing on whether two people are living together in a partnership that is genuine and stable include but are not limited to:
  1. the duration of the parties relationship;
  2. the existence, nature, and extent of the parties' common residence;
  3. the degree of financial dependence or interdependence, and any arrangements for financial support, between the parties;
  4. the common ownership, use, and acquisition of property by the parties;
  5. the degree of commitment of the parties to a shared life;
  6. children of the partnership, including the common care and support of such children by the parties;
  7. the performance of common household duties by the partners; and
  8. the reputation and public aspects of the relationship.

soccer203 Feb 11th 2013 9:02 pm

hah thanks :) this would happen in the beginning of 2014. we are still in canada. her work is considered highly skilled, as she is a psychiatrist.this is a good news

BEVS Feb 11th 2013 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by soccer203 (Post 10538588)
hah thanks :) this would happen in the beginning of 2014. we are still in canada. her work is considered highly skilled, as she is a psychiatrist.this is a good news

I thought she had a job offer from what you wrote. Easily confused am I :blink:

This profession requires NZ medical council registration.

You will really need to live together for the duration to prove a long term stable relationship.

Good luck.

soccer203 Feb 11th 2013 9:26 pm

they want her, as she applied for the position aorund the time we met and they still want her. i just want to follow her thats all, she told me she needs to have her paperwork ready by may this year if she wants to go there in the wintertime