British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Can i bring my mum too!!! - Future visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/can-i-bring-my-mum-too-future-visa-758555/)

wendy bird May 17th 2012 9:48 am

Can i bring my mum too!!! - Future visa

It says on the forms for other family members and whether they are obtaining a visa too. Is that something that is possible?
I would love my mum to come too. She said to me the other day that anything could happen in 5 years, and if she was widowed it would be a high probability that she would come with me and my little family.
I'm still feeling anxious that my eldest doesn't want to come? He will be 19 when i start my paperwork. I've got plenty of time to work on him!!!!

Water Lily May 17th 2012 10:31 am

Re: Can i bring my mum too!!!

I'm sure others with more recent experience of the whole process will be along to help you out soon, but if I remember right there are conditions such as how many children does your mum have and do the majority live in the UK or NZ? If you are an only child, I'd say the odds are greater that she'll be allowed to come and join you here. But if there are more children in the UK, things get complicated and she may not be allowed to come even. If 50/50, I think the number of grandchildren in either country adds weight to the argument...

Like I said I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable than me will be along soon, but I thought I'd mention it in case you'd like to look into it more in the meantime...

Good luck! :)

wendy bird May 17th 2012 10:41 am

Hi thanks for your reply.
I do have a brother who will stay in the uk. Im the one that has her grandkids. Her sister already lives in new zealand, another in the usa and one in the uk.

MrsFychan May 17th 2012 8:19 pm

I know there is a thread on here recently that states that the whole process is now changing. from what I know it used to take upto 18mths for the parent even to get onto the process of visa but as I said it has all changed and seems to be even harder now. the link on NZ Immigration isn't working for me atm but you could try it

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/s...ent%20category

wendy bird May 17th 2012 8:46 pm

Thank you. I have had a little look, my mum doesn't have much assets she has her private pension and the government one.
I saw about the children category changing and looks like my son will JUST be able as he will be 19 but who knows it may change again!!!
It does look like it would be unlikely for me to bring my mum, so if its still going i could wait till ive been there for the 2 years and do the other way. She will prob be 69 then but prob way to old. I'd be gutted.

scrubbedexpat094 May 17th 2012 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by wendy bird (Post 10067606)
Thank you. I have had a little look, my mum doesn't have much assets she has her private pension and the government one.
I saw about the children category changing and looks like my son will JUST be able as he will be 19 but who knows it may change again!!!
It does look like it would be unlikely for me to bring my mum, so if its still going i could wait till ive been there for the 2 years and do the other way. She will prob be 69 then but prob way to old. I'd be gutted.

I don't see 69 as being too old. She'll still be a spring chicken then. A lady emigrated here approximately a year ago to be with her family & she was 101, I seem to remember ;)

wendy bird May 18th 2012 6:33 am

Wow!!!!!! Thats great!!! I'm sure when the time comes we will work around it, and my mum can be with us and her sister whom she misses tremendusly*spelling is rubbish!!!
I'm starting to do my own head in now over wanting to come constantly on the immi site seeing how my partner can get us over there. Just thinking about it over the last 4 years felt like a dream, now we are planning it it feels more real, i'm going to be a bag of jelly when we start doing forms and get those visa and blueys!!!!!
Thanks guys you are wonderful, all the posts make it all seem real and not that far away.

BEVS May 18th 2012 9:27 am

OK. This is about you hoping to be able to bring your Mum over on the back of any visa etc you have, so I am moving this into the Immy forum.

New rules are in situ so need to be digested and understood.

wendy bird May 20th 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Can i bring my mum too!!! - Future visa

Thanks bevs. Don't want to get her hopes up if it will be too difficult. I am sure that we will work through it tho, even if we try through her sister who has been in nz for 5 years now.