Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Can a family member work when on my temp work visa?

Can a family member work when on my temp work visa?

Old Apr 5th 2012, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice
Cool Can a family member work when on my temp work visa?

My family and I will be going to NZ on my temporary work visa 2-5 years, not sure what they're going to issue me with (job on LTSSL and level 1 with 8 yrs experience.
Should've done SMC but time was too short as we're hoping to be there by August '12. Am submitting EOI at same time as temp WV.

Will my husband be allowed to work?
If no, what permit/visa would enable him to work?

It could leave us in a pickle if he can't work (not allowed to) or can't find work (if he is allowed to)

Thanks folks
Old Apr 5th 2012, 8:46 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a family member work when on my temp work visa?

he would have to get his own work visa
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:02 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a family member work when on my temp work visa?

Easiest would have been for him to apply at the same time (in the same envelope and application) as yours, they would likely have been approved together.

Now you will need to apply for his visa but referencing your permit. Should all go through but he will still need t fulfill the character etc requirements in his own right.

He ISN'T allowed to work automatically, if he does you would likely put your own permit at serious risk so get it together and a permit application in for him. Same for any children, they will need student visas if of school age, else no schooling...all can be submitting with the primary applicants application, the advantage of that is much simpler for NZIS to process and you shouldn't run the risk of a mixed result, i.e. you work but he can't and/or no children schooling....

Max work permit is 3yrs IIRC