Calling all teachers out there!!

Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:27 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice
Default Re: Calling all teachers out there!!

Originally Posted by viv jones
Hi
we have found NZQA a bit of a challenege but think we are there now but it has delayed our ITA by over a month. We really wanted to get the kids into the new NZ school year end of January but with processing times being 4 + 2 months total its a concern.
Was there a trick as to how you got your ITA through without a job offer so quickly....very impressive!!!
It would be great to keep in contact and know how you get on in NZ job hunting as you are nearly there. Both my husband and I are Head of PE Depts and are are chucking everything in to give this a go as I do reckon you need to be there to get the job offer!!
Viv
You're PE teachers too! Thats fab. We should definitely stay in touch. We're thinking of going out to NZ this summer (before officially emigrating at Christmas) as I think it will be July-September time that jobs will be advertised to start February 2010. Did you find that schools were open to you visiting when you were in Auckland recently? Did you see some PE in action? I've heard that there's quite a bit more theoretical teaching.
As for our speedy ITA, we just made sure we sent them absolutely everything they asked for in as much detail as possible. Our medicals must have been fine too (OH did have low WBC count so we had another test done and sent that off with it). After reading some recent threads it does seem that NZIS are being pretty efficient at the moment.
Good luck with everything and keep us informed!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:31 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice

Originally Posted by DGH
You're PE teachers too! Thats fab. We should definitely stay in touch. We're thinking of going out to NZ this summer (before officially emigrating at Christmas) as I think it will be July-September time that jobs will be advertised to start February 2010. Did you find that schools were open to you visiting when you were in Auckland recently? Did you see some PE in action? I've heard that there's quite a bit more theoretical teaching.
As for our speedy ITA, we just made sure we sent them absolutely everything they asked for in as much detail as possible. Our medicals must have been fine too (OH did have low WBC count so we had another test done and sent that off with it). After reading some recent threads it does seem that NZIS are being pretty efficient at the moment.
Good luck with everything and keep us informed!
One more thing - do you know that you can apply to Teachers Council at the same time that your qualifications are being assessed by NZQA? NZQA automatically send your result to Teachers Council for you. This was something I didn't realise as on Teachers Council form it states that you have to send them the NZQA report. I was hanging around waiting for the NZQA report to come via post to me first! A little misleading.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

viv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura about

Hiya
When you sent your application and fee to the Teachers Council did you send certified copies of quals etc as requested or were the ones that NZQA sent across used for this purpose? I was going to send the form off and wasn't sure what to include. I am waiting for NZQA to return at the moment. OH is back already and as you said they mentioned sending quals info across....what would you advise me to include with the Teachers Council form please?

I only had three days out there and was checking schools out for our children really but I did enquire re jobs and they all said ..." you'll find a job really quickly as there are loads around Auckland and never enough secondary teachers"...it was a common thread in the schols and people I spoke to so felt fairly upbeat even if it means teaching short term in a not so good school.

They do Health within the PE teaching which is classroom based but not too strenuous although I guess I teach AS / A level in a Sixth Form College at the momnet so am used to it but it was nothing difficult if you put your mind to it. Health, role of exercise, diet that sort of thing...if you do any GCSE PE teaching...bit like that really. The kids were much more enthusiastic and up for activity which was good to see.

I have the kids enrolled in a really good school in Albany and aim to get out there for the Jan start but am stressing about time as we had an initial hiccup with our ITA and have had to get our quals reassessed...stalling the process for 6 weeks now. The idea is to fly out end of December!!!! Maybe see you on the flight but we have loads to do yet!!!! Still fingers crossed and just throwing everything at it at the moment and as you say go over board with the evidence in the ITA.

Of all the mad things to do I bought a house when I had my 3 day stay in June!!!! Well it seemed a good idea to have a stable base for the children!!!!
We'll get there somehow.....I did wonder if we could go out on the three month visa free stay and get the final bit done when we were in NZ if we were getting too close to the school term? Have you heard of this being done!?

Viv
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:28 pm
DGH
Danni

Hi Viv,

Yes I sent certified copies of qualifications to Teachers Council. I also sent copies of my performance management evidence and I was given registration 'subject to confirmation' instead of just 'provisional registration'. Think this means I start slightly higher on the salary scale and don't have to be an NQT equivalent for so long before they fully register me.
I guess you could go out on the 3 month visa free stay if it came to that. It would give you a little more time. Not sure whether that makes any difference to processing times? Could post a thread and see if anyone has done it.
You must be very efficient to get your kids enrolled into school and buy a house in 3 days! Mental!
Keep us updated.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DGH
Hi,
We've found a similar situation. I've been applying for teaching jobs from here in the UK. I have been granted teachers council registration 'subject to confirmation' and I'm a head of PE here. On my applications I've stated that I'm in the final stages of the visa application process. No luck with the applications though. I'm thinking I'll have a better chance if I'm out there. We do have a dilemma however - OH is also a teacher and trained via a GTP which Teachers Council will not recognise. He may have to re-train even though he has 5 yrs experience! Bit of a battle ahead I think.
Hi - hope you dont mind me asking this. When you said your hubby trained as a teacher via GTP, does he have a PGCE? The reason I am asking is because I have a PGCE 16+, even though I have been teaching 13 years (and have experience of teaching under 16's)!!! Have you any idea if this qualification will be recognised by the teaching council??!!

Thanks
Capt
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

viv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura about

Hiya
Yes that sounds the same (with PGCE) and NZQA have just cleared his qualification and given him the points so hopefully you will be fine!

Viv
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Originally Posted by viv jones
Hiya
Yes that sounds the same (with PGCE) and NZQA have just cleared his qualification and given him the points so hopefully you will be fine!

Viv
Cheers for that
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:56 am
Just Joined

grammyjadav is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Calling all teachers out there!!

Hi all..

I am a secondary teacher from India and hoping to settle in NZ.

M.A. B.Ed. from Gujarat University with 5 years secondary teaching experience. Its that I just lack recent experience and my EOI was out on 18th maybe because of that, and so I withdrew.

I have come to know that I need to get my qualifications assessed by NZQA and then get NZ Teacher's Council's registration.

I am just curious to know if my degrees from Gujarat University India get approved. Is anybody or has any teacher from India been in the same boat?

My wife is also M.A.B.Ed. but she does not have huge experience.

Any advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Graham.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

MarcAndHelen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Was wondering if anybody can help. We have submitted an EOI and nominated 'Pre-Primary School Teacher' as my chosen occupation. I believe my experience and qualifications fall loosely between this and 'Primary School Teacher' - I have 2 years exp teaching Year2 and 2 years teaching reception year (I assume reception teaching meets pre-primary criteria). My degree was in 'Early Curriculum Studies' but my PGCE was in 'Primary Teaching'!

I am a bit concerned that NZIS may decide to categorise me as a primary school teacher and complicate my application, I applied under 'Pre-Primary school' as it is on the long term skills shortage list. Has anybody gone through something similar, and if so what was the outcome?

Thanks

Helen
Old Dec 6th 2009, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

Hi

I got the NZQA and Teacher's Council all done before I submitted my EOI- I have got my ITA and took my application personally into New Zealand House in October half term. They said that most teachers have got job offers before they submit their final application.

I am with an agency in NZ, hoping for a minor miracle! Both the agency and NZ house advised me to hand in my notice so that I could be get a job and be there to start on February. So I thought - jump! and I did. I haven't got a job offer yet- and to be honest I think we could be cutting it just an incy wincy bit fine! I am registered with an agency in the UK so I will have work if it goes pear shaped. Having seen the delays that Tina has been through, with a job offer, I live in hope!
Old Dec 6th 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Mudblood
You say you submitted your application in Oct half term...have you got a case officer yet? We submitted ours with the same advice back in August and are still waiting....its been a complete nightmare and they say we may get a case officer by end of Dec which would be over 4 months of waiting. We are both teachers and followed advise by giving up work and applying for jobs but as you say no joy yet...they seem put off if you don't have a visa incase you cant get there in time I think and the class have no teacher!
Viv
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarcAndHelen
Hi,

Was wondering if anybody can help. We have submitted an EOI and nominated 'Pre-Primary School Teacher' as my chosen occupation. I believe my experience and qualifications fall loosely between this and 'Primary School Teacher' - I have 2 years exp teaching Year2 and 2 years teaching reception year (I assume reception teaching meets pre-primary criteria). My degree was in 'Early Curriculum Studies' but my PGCE was in 'Primary Teaching'!

I am a bit concerned that NZIS may decide to categorise me as a primary school teacher and complicate my application, I applied under 'Pre-Primary school' as it is on the long term skills shortage list. Has anybody gone through something similar, and if so what was the outcome?

Thanks

Helen
Hi Helen, did you have your degree assessed by NZQA? If you have a PGCE in Primary Teaching then that is what you are! You are not seen to be a Pre Primary teacher . Is Pre Primary not Early years education? Very different and nothing from UK is seen as equivalent by NZQA.
I reccomend you get your degree assessed, it can take a while. Good luck
Old Dec 6th 2009, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

MarcAndHelen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi j19fmm

Thanks for the info. Yes pre-primary is basically an Early Years Teacher (ANZSCO code 2411-11). We have not had our qualifications assessed yet but I'm hoping that NZQA will be okay with verifying me as an Early Years Teacher due to my degree and work experience in this area. It is important that I am regarded as Early Years Teacher as this occupation is on the Long Term Skills shortage list and primary teacher is not. It will really complicate matters if they (NZQA) verify me as Primary but not Early Years as I have already had my EOI selected under the Early Years Teacher occupation.

Has anyone had any problems with having to change their occupation code with NZIS retrospectively? If so what did this involve and did it cost anything??

Thanks

Helen
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MarcAndHelen
Hi j19fmm

Thanks for the info. Yes pre-primary is basically an Early Years Teacher (ANZSCO code 2411-11). We have not had our qualifications assessed yet but I'm hoping that NZQA will be okay with verifying me as an Early Years Teacher due to my degree and work experience in this area. It is important that I am regarded as Early Years Teacher as this occupation is on the Long Term Skills shortage list and primary teacher is not. It will really complicate matters if they (NZQA) verify me as Primary but not Early Years as I have already had my EOI selected under the Early Years Teacher occupation.

Has anyone had any problems with having to change their occupation code with NZIS retrospectively? If so what did this involve and did it cost anything??

Thanks

Helen
Hi Helen,

I'm not entirely familiar, so do correct me if I'm wrong, but am I right that a PGCE is deemed to be a "lesser" qualification than a degree? ( I don't mean that disrespectfully by the way).

If this is the case then I don't believe you have much to worry about.

My wife isn't around right now to ask, but surely NZQA are only interested in assessing your qualification and presumably their focus is in determining the highest qualification level you have attained.

Any working experience you have, is surely not of concern to NZQA as this would be more relevant to a potential employer (and in turn your pay-scale) in determining your suitability for a role?

Assuming I'm right, (and it won't be long before some tells me/us if I'm not) then I don't believe you have anything to worry about.

With the caviat, that I strongly suggest that you should get your qualifications assessed sooner rather than later as there can be subtle differences between the UK and NZ.

E.g. My wife (Primary School Teacher) has a B.Ed.Hons after studying for 4 years in the UK. At quick glance the NZQA system would classify her as a Level 8, but they only classified her as a Level 7... there turned out to be a valid reason as to why, I can't recall it now, but I'm sure it was something along the lines of having to study for a further year in NZ to get the .hons status - I'll check when she gets back from work though and put another post up later.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedtb
Hi Helen,

I'm not entirely familiar, so do correct me if I'm wrong, but am I right that a PGCE is deemed to be a "lesser" qualification than a degree? ( I don't mean that disrespectfully by the way).

If this is the case then I don't believe you have much to worry about.

My wife isn't around right now to ask, but surely NZQA are only interested in assessing your qualification and presumably their focus is in determining the highest qualification level you have attained.

Any working experience you have, is surely not of concern to NZQA as this would be more relevant to a potential employer (and in turn your pay-scale) in determining your suitability for a role?

Assuming I'm right, (and it won't be long before some tells me/us if I'm not) then I don't believe you have anything to worry about.

With the caviat, that I strongly suggest that you should get your qualifications assessed sooner rather than later as there can be subtle differences between the UK and NZ.

E.g. My wife (Primary School Teacher) has a B.Ed.Hons after studying for 4 years in the UK. At quick glance the NZQA system would classify her as a Level 8, but they only classified her as a Level 7... there turned out to be a valid reason as to why, I can't recall it now, but I'm sure it was something along the lines of having to study for a further year in NZ to get the .hons status - I'll check when she gets back from work though and put another post up later.
I have a BEd Hons too and was assessed at Level 7, just the way it is guys. The OP's Degree is as a Primary Teacher, it is NOT the same as Early Years in NZ. Ring NZQA or email the help line. You need to know. Hope I'm wrong