British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   C&G Painter/Decorator (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/c-g-painter-decorator-702450/)

Marjol Jan 26th 2011 6:42 pm

C&G Painter/Decorator

The wife is just coming to the end of a City and Guilds Level 2 course in Painting and Decorating and we are confused as to whether or not this is a high enough qualification, if it is on the skills list and also whether it has to be assessed by NZQA?
We applied before, just as the world crashed! on my skills, also just as they put up the qualification level. EOI was selected but then rejected on the skills level, somewhat expensively annoying.
Now it's time for round 2, but want to check everything first. Any help greatly appreciated.

Martin

Marjol Jan 31st 2011 3:05 pm

Re: C&G Painter/Decorator

Ok, we have been digging a bit further. Would I be right in thinking, level 2 with an apprenticeship/ work experience or level 3 without either, in 332211 Painting Trades Worker?

BEVS Jan 31st 2011 8:10 pm

HHmm. I believe that for a UK NVQ to be seen as the equivalent of an NZ National Certificate it would need to be an NVQ level 3.
What NZIS look for and what NZQA check is that the UK modules to attain the UK qual match their own NZ qualification to Nat Certificate level - as in full apprenticeship

I will have a further check around later.

BEVS Jan 31st 2011 8:15 pm

Have you read HERE

Whether or not the NVQ will need an NZQA assessment will depend on the training body she is with.

Her trade skill is in Part b of the NZIS Skilled Occupations list.

Other Trade Qualifications with additional requirements
The following trade qualifications qualify for the points indicated where:
  • the qualification is relevant to an occupation in Part B of the List of Skilled Occupations at Appendix 11, and
  • the applicant has completed an apprenticeship relevant to the qualification, registered with an applicable awarding body specified below, and
  • the qualification was awarded by an applicable awarding body specified below (including the Trade Awarding Bodies list).
National Vocational Qualification Level 3 (NVQ 3)

Scottish Vocational Qualification Level 3 (SVQ 3)
Scottish Qualification Authority (or SCOTVEC*)
City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate

Marjol Jan 31st 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks Bevs

I'm pretty sure it's City and Guilds she is doing. It is actually called. Construction Diploma in Painting and Decorating. She has done it as a new direction as she has always been in Retail.
She also intends on working for herself fulltime when the course is over and getting on site assessment for her Level 3. She is going to check this with her course tutors this week as I think they are also onsite assessors.
It was unclear to us whether level 3 was on it's own or whether a couple of years work experience was also needed?

BEVS Jan 31st 2011 10:03 pm

Level 3 on it's own would prove the qualification standard. Make sure she keeps the syllabus and module paperwork. Check out the link I gave you and see if the awarding body is on the list. If not, it will be an NZQa assessment when the time comes.

If she went onto have a couple of years work experience on the job , then that would come under - Work Exp and be worth points on it's own merit.