Buying house on visitors visa

Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice
Default Buying house on visitors visa

Hi Some friends of ours are wanting to come to NZ on a visitors visa and get fixed up with work once they are here to get residency are they able to ship there belongings over and buy a house on a visitors visa ?
thanks Linda
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:39 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying house on visitors visa

Originally Posted by ex geordie
Hi Some friends of ours are wanting to come to NZ on a visitors visa and get fixed up with work once they are here to get residency are they able to ship there belongings over and buy a house on a visitors visa ?
thanks Linda

You can buy a house/land in NZ without any visa at all. And you can ship your stuff over as well on a visitor's visa.

It's a bit brave, but perfectly legal.

Last edited by Avid; Sep 19th 2007 at 11:49 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex geordie
thanks Linda
The only downside to shipping whilst on a visitors visa is you have to pay GST on anything non clothing in your container. Better to get work permit first as we are then ship.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:03 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

You will struggle to get a mortgage without residency. But as has been mentioned, if you got the dosh, nothing stopping you buying a house.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:27 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
You will struggle to get a mortgage without residency. But as has been mentioned, if you got the dosh, nothing stopping you buying a house.
I don't know. I was offered a mortgage on a property in Auckland when I was living in Japan and had never been to NZ.

Depends on the bank and personal circumstances, I would think, not on the law.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Avid
I don't know. I was offered a mortgage on a property in Auckland when I was living in Japan and had never been to NZ.

Depends on the bank and personal circumstances, I would think, not on the law.
I don't suppose you know of a way to borrow in Japan and spend in NZ by any chance??

0.25% interest rate borrowing would sure be useful for that big purchase here in NZ even if the Japanese are livid about the rise from 0%.......
Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by niseysOH
I don't suppose you know of a way to borrow in Japan and spend in NZ by any chance??

0.25% interest rate borrowing would sure be useful for that big purchase here in NZ even if the Japanese are livid about the rise from 0%.......
You can get a 1.5% mortgage in Japanese Yen for a property in NZ but what makes it a potentially terrifying loan is the fact that it will be tied to the exchange rates.

I think the Bank of Australia does one.

Also the 0.25% rates are for interest on savings...I think you'll find that bank loans are pretty steep.

That's why Kiwis blame the semi-mythical 'Japanese housewive investors' for the recent run on their currency, as the only real way to invest money in Japan is via shares and the like.

Last edited by Avid; Sep 20th 2007 at 7:56 am.