British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Buying house on visitors visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/buying-house-visitors-visa-482306/)

ex geordie Sep 19th 2007 11:28 pm

Buying house on visitors visa

Hi Some friends of ours are wanting to come to NZ on a visitors visa and get fixed up with work once they are here to get residency are they able to ship there belongings over and buy a house on a visitors visa ?
thanks Linda :):confused:

Avid Sep 19th 2007 11:39 pm

Re: Buying house on visitors visa

Originally Posted by ex geordie (Post 5331890)
Hi Some friends of ours are wanting to come to NZ on a visitors visa and get fixed up with work once they are here to get residency are they able to ship there belongings over and buy a house on a visitors visa ?

You can buy a house/land in NZ without any visa at all. And you can ship your stuff over as well on a visitor's visa.

It's a bit brave, but perfectly legal.

simonmarkellis Sep 20th 2007 12:20 am

Originally Posted by ex geordie (Post 5331890)

The only downside to shipping whilst on a visitors visa is you have to pay GST on anything non clothing in your container. Better to get work permit first as we are then ship.

Beachcombers Sep 20th 2007 2:03 am

You will struggle to get a mortgage without residency. But as has been mentioned, if you got the dosh, nothing stopping you buying a house.

Avid Sep 20th 2007 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Beachcombers (Post 5332200)
You will struggle to get a mortgage without residency. But as has been mentioned, if you got the dosh, nothing stopping you buying a house.

I don't know. I was offered a mortgage on a property in Auckland when I was living in Japan and had never been to NZ.

Depends on the bank and personal circumstances, I would think, not on the law.

teambwr47 Sep 20th 2007 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 5332388)
I don't know. I was offered a mortgage on a property in Auckland when I was living in Japan and had never been to NZ.

Depends on the bank and personal circumstances, I would think, not on the law.

I don't suppose you know of a way to borrow in Japan and spend in NZ by any chance??

0.25% interest rate borrowing would sure be useful for that big purchase here in NZ even if the Japanese are livid about the rise from 0%.......:blink:

Avid Sep 20th 2007 7:50 am

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5332480)
I don't suppose you know of a way to borrow in Japan and spend in NZ by any chance??

0.25% interest rate borrowing would sure be useful for that big purchase here in NZ even if the Japanese are livid about the rise from 0%.......:blink:

You can get a 1.5% mortgage in Japanese Yen for a property in NZ but what makes it a potentially terrifying loan is the fact that it will be tied to the exchange rates.

I think the Bank of Australia does one.

Also the 0.25% rates are for interest on savings...I think you'll find that bank loans are pretty steep.

That's why Kiwis blame the semi-mythical 'Japanese housewive investors' for the recent run on their currency, as the only real way to invest money in Japan is via shares and the like.