British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   British Passport with RRV - Can I Live in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/british-passport-rrv-can-i-live-nz-570672/)

DizzyDi Nov 2nd 2008 7:42 am

British Passport with RRV - Can I Live in NZ

Hi All
So glad I found this site. Awesome!
Can someone help me out here?
I found reference in another post (2006) that anyone having a RRV or PR Visa for Australia can live indefinitely in NZ.
I've searched to find something more current and I have found one obscure reference on NZ Immigration site, but nothing to confirm this is still the case.
I have a British Passport and I am an Australian Permanent Resident, so I want to know it I can still go to NZ and live there without any other visa requirements.
Can anyone out there confirm that this is still right?
Cheers

P2L Nov 2nd 2008 8:43 am

Re: British Passport with RRV - Can I Live in NZ

Originally Posted by DizzyDi (Post 6932381)
Hi All
I found reference in another post (2006) that anyone having a RRV or PR Visa for Australia can live indefinitely in NZ.
I've searched to find something more current and I have found one obscure reference on NZ Immigration site, but nothing to confirm this is still the case.
I have a British Passport and I am an Australian Permanent Resident, so I want to know it I can still go to NZ and live there without any other visa requirements.
Cheers

If you have indefinite leave to stay in Australia, you are entitled to enter NZ on a one way ticket, which would mean you could settle here.

Try emailing NZIS (link on the right hand side of their home page) They are generally very quick at answering them

Good Luck

DizzyDi Nov 2nd 2008 9:21 am

Hi Kev&Sarah
Thanks so much.
I will email.
Cheers

newkiwi Nov 3rd 2008 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by DizzyDi (Post 6932381)
Hi All
Cheers

A australian passport holder or the holder of a valid australian returning residents visa qualifies for new zealand permanent residency
Note that it does not work the other way round, a new zealand returning resident visa gives you no rights in australia
so you can live, settle and work in nz with a valid aus returning resident visa in your passport. be careful however, you may loose your australian residency if you spend too much time out of aus. This is ok if you have no intention of returning to aus long term, but if you do want to return to aus it is better to get your citizenship first.

also take note of when your aussie RRV expires, you will not be able to enter nz on the back of an expited RRV. if you leave nz, even for a holiday, make sure either the aussie RRv is still valid or that you have received by that time your own nz rrv.

It is possible to "fall between two chairs" if youre not careful, and end up loosing both aussie and nz perm residency

DizzyDi Nov 3rd 2008 10:33 pm

Hi Newkiwi

Thanks so much for your help.

I don't intend going back to OZ permanently, however, I have a RRV that means I need to return within 3 years from departure and it goes with the life of the passport.

So, after I arrive, I just need to apply for a NZ RRV is that right? Are these restricted - ie only for a certain amount of time - do I have to keep renewing?

Will they still leave my Aus RRV in passport?

Many thanks

Dizzy

JAJ Nov 4th 2008 1:31 am

Originally Posted by DizzyDi (Post 6937261)
I don't intend going back to OZ permanently, however, I have a RRV that means I need to return within 3 years from departure and it goes with the life of the passport.

That doesn't sound like an Australian RRV - what exactly does the visa say?

DizzyDi Nov 4th 2008 6:13 am

Hi there

It says its a BF111 visa

Class BF RES RET - ATR P
Authority to Return/Return Endorsement Sub Class 111
Conditions Mig Regs Sched 8

Must arrive in Australia within three years from date of last departure. Multiple Travel.
Holder permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely.

Any help?

Cheers

newkiwi Nov 4th 2008 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by DizzyDi (Post 6937261)
Hi Newkiwi

Thanks so much for your help.

So, after I arrive, I just need to apply for a NZ RRV is that right? Are these restricted - ie only for a certain amount of time - do I have to keep renewing?

Will they still leave my Aus RRV in passport?

Many thanks

Dizzy

you qualify for a new zealand RRV based on your time spent in NZ. You wont be able to apply for this immediately. You do however immediately receive a permanent resident PERMIT by means of a stamp in your passport upon entering new zealand, so you are a NZ permanent resident from the moment you go through immigration control at the airport (based on your aussie RRV).

You can apply for an indefinate NZ RRV after spending at least 183 days in NZ in each of the preceeding two years. You can get a limited validity RRV after one year I think. Just be sure to always have either a valid aussie RRV or valid NZ RRV in your (valid, not expired) passport whenever you leave NZ, even on holiday or you might not be let back in.

Your aussie RRV will remain in your passport, so you are free to use that at long as it remains valid. If you are settled in NZ when it expires you will probably loose the right to renew it, and with that your right to live and work in Aus. So be sure you dont want to return to aus long term.

DizzyDi Nov 4th 2008 10:32 pm

Thanks so much

JAJ Nov 6th 2008 11:43 am

Originally Posted by DizzyDi (Post 6938052)
Hi there

It says its a BF111 visa

Class BF RES RET - ATR P
Authority to Return/Return Endorsement Sub Class 111
Conditions Mig Regs Sched 8

Must arrive in Australia within three years from date of last departure. Multiple Travel.
Holder permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely.

An old-style visa, then pre-1986.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

Have you kept it valid by visiting Australia?

And is there any reason you didn't become an Australian citizen if you have been a resident for so long?

DizzyDi Nov 6th 2008 1:02 pm

Hi

It never really crossed my mind to get citizenship. I have never been away longer than 3 months at a time, so it wasn't really an issue.

It's only now that it looks like I am going to relocate to New Zealand permanently.

Cheers

Di

newkiwi Nov 6th 2008 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by DizzyDi (Post 6946234)
Hi

It never really crossed my mind to get citizenship. I have never been away longer than 3 months at a time, so it wasn't really an issue.

It's only now that it looks like I am going to relocate to New Zealand permanently.

Cheers

Di

Getting your Aus citizenship before you relocate to NZ will make things a LOT easier and give you a lot more flexability down the road. Id look into getting that if at all possible

DizzyDi Nov 6th 2008 10:12 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I'll look into it and see if I have enough time before I go.

Cheers

Di

JAJ Nov 7th 2008 2:46 am

Originally Posted by DizzyDi (Post 6947961)
Thanks for the advice.

I'll look into it and see if I have enough time before I go.

It will take a few months, likely, possibly more. http://www.citizenship.gov.au

Also bear in mind that applicants for Australian citizenship are expected to remain either living in Australia or have a "close and continuing association" with Australia.

Are you married to an Australian citizen?

Otherwise, you might need to decide what is more important to your life at this point. I struggle to see how you could have lived in Australia for so long and never wanted to be a citizen, but in any case you haven't helped yourself by putting off the decision to apply (or taking a negative decision) for so many years.

DizzyDi Nov 7th 2008 2:53 am

As I said, it really never entered my head. I have lived here since I was 10 years old and have always considered myself to be an Aussie. I guess I didn't stop to think I needed a piece of paper.

Yes I am married to an Aussie - dual citizenship with NZ.

Cheers