British passport

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute
Default British passport

Sorry for posting in the NZ forum, but I was hoping you folks would be able to help me.

I'm an NZer and my husband is British. We now live in NZ which is where our daughter was born.

Am I correct in thinking that she will automatically qualify for UK citizenship / passport?

We're planning a trip back in the next year and I just want to be organised early.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 6:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: British passport

Quick post here.
It may be simpler to get her an NZ passport.
I will have a read about the UK thing though.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:41 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

You need JAJ's input, anyone else's on this subject is second best.

<However> I <think> she is entitled to claim British Citizenship by descent but you have to apply for it as she was born outside the UK. So kind of not automatic if you see what I mean.

Agree simpler to get a NZ passport and you may want to do that anyway.

JAJ?
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a british passport by decent, think its 3 generations ie. if your grandparent(s) were born in UK - but agree probably easier to get NZ one now and apply for a british one later if you need it. YOu can have duel citizenship.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 3:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marblep
Sorry for posting in the NZ forum, but I was hoping you folks would be able to help me.

I'm an NZer and my husband is British. We now live in NZ which is where our daughter was born.

Am I correct in thinking that she will automatically qualify for UK citizenship / passport?

Depends on whether the British parent was born (or naturalised) in the United Kingdom, normally. If he or she got British citizenship some other way, then probably not automatically.

Has he thought about becoming a New Zealand citizen?

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 3rd 2013 at 3:57 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 3:44 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Yes you can ruin your daughters life now by obtaining a British passport for her

I think you'll have to apply using your husband as the main applicant. Your daughter is lucky that she can obtain two passports NZ and the UK.