Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

British citzen & Polish Citizen - Married

British citzen & Polish Citizen - Married

Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:21 am
Just Joined

vanhoopstallion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citzen & Polish Citizen - Married

Hello,

My wife and I really want to start a new life in NZ.

We recently married in March 2015, she is Polish and living here in UK since 2008.

What's the best way to proceed. Should we get her a GB citizenship & passport port before applying for NZ visa etc? or does it not matter to apply as a married couple but with here Polish national documents?

Obviously I want to avoid jumping through hoops twice, but I want to maximise our chances of getting to NZ!

thanks
Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:42 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citzen & Polish Citizen - Married

who would be the principal visa application and what visa are you looking at?
Old Jul 21st 2015, 9:00 am
Just Joined

I think the principle would be my wife as she is a qualified early years teacher with experience, I am a unqualified web admin with experience.

We are looking for to move to NZ, work and live permanently under the skilled migrant category.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 9:38 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

not sure if teacher is still on the list?? will go unless you can provide the details
Old Jul 21st 2015, 9:41 am

ok so it may be
what are your points total?

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

sorry I'm not sure what happens if she is not an English citizen for applying in the UK. hopefully someone else may be able to help

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jul 21st 2015 at 9:44 am.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 9:45 am
Just Joined

both our jobs are on the list, if I'm looking on the right place?

Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) Teacher Visa Options – Skill Shortage Lists, Immigration New Zealand
Web Administrator Visa Options – Skill Shortage Lists, Immigration New Zealand

Is it best to get her a British passport first and apply both as British Citizens or does it not matter she being a Polish Citizen living in UK and apply as one family?
Old Jul 21st 2015, 9:54 am
Just Joined

thanks - it's the British / Polish citizen & married question I'm looking for
Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:04 pm

the married bit is fine, you just need to show that you share your lives together for at least 12mths, so joint bills, holiday bookings, party invites, web chat, photo's etc. marriage certificate doesn't mean that much.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:14 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see a good reason why the difference in passports should matter at all.
Main thing you need to prove is that you've lived together for at least 12 months if you wish to go on the same EOI, being married is not 'enough'. However a marriage certificate is an extra piece of relationship proof
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:03 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't make a difference. My friends from uk come out here just fine. She is from Latvia and he is British. They hold difference passports
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:52 am

wouldn't the partner being the main applicant have to show citizenship or similiar for the UK if they are applying the UK application process?
Old Jul 30th 2015, 5:49 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is from Finland and I am from the UK. It did not matter either way....who had the "best" passport.

You will need to get her papers translated!
Old Jul 30th 2015, 6:20 am

I really don't understand how that works, so anyone from any country not holding a UK passport can apply via the UK as the main applicant??

the OP's wife may obviously have a UK passport but if not....?
Old Jul 30th 2015, 7:23 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has an Irish passport. He was the main applicant. There was no problems
Old Jul 31st 2015, 4:43 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

The visa application is sent to where you are currently residing, not the country that your passport is from.
They are both in the UK so will apply via London. Otherwise UK applicants already in NZ would have to send all their documents to London
P

I've had a cursory look and it appears that Polish applicants in Poland would send theirs to London anyway.

Last edited by Persephone; Jul 31st 2015 at 4:47 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.