Bringing 23 Year old Dependent Child

Old Apr 12th 2017, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

smileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nice
Default Bringing 23 Year old Dependent Child

It's been a long time since I first posted on this forum - such a lot has happened.

We, husband me and our 6 year old son, are now settled in Auckland - 6 year old loving the NZ education system and husband and I both working. We first arrived on 5 year work visas based on my husband's job - but since then have been granted Residence (in Feb 17) - so we are watching the clock until Feb 19 so we can apply for PR. We are just in the process of buying our first NZ house.

I have a daughter from my previous marriage who still lives in UK - she will be 23 in July. She appears to meet all the criteria for coming to join us here as a dependent child. Single, no children, supported entirely by myself and ex husband (in UK).

She is due to come over for 6 months (she was last here for 6 months in 2015) at the end of July - she is keen for us to apply to have her join us here permanently. She needs to loose a bit of weight before she can put in her application as her BMI is over 30 at the moment so she needs to get that sorted before she can have her medical. With our encouragement and help she should be able to do this during her stay with us.

So, my question is ... would it be better to apply in NZ while she is here for 6 months (maybe at the half way mark) - or would it be better for her to return to UK in Jan 18 and apply from there once her visit is over?

I can't find any information about comparative application timescales online.

Any help or advice gratefully accepted.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing 23 Year old Dependent Child

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa

I'd say it would be better to apply when you are all here together in NZ and start it as soon as possible. It will likely take a matter of months and it may be possible to box it off during her visitor visa stay, however you have to figure out whether she has enough time to resolve any health matters that may have a bearing on the visa decision.
You will also have to explain why she wasn't on the original Resident visa application and you'll also have to have signed authority from her father that allows her to move to NZ.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...sa-application
Old Apr 13th 2017, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa

I'd say it would be better to apply when you are all here together in NZ and start it as soon as possible. It will likely take a matter of months and it may be possible to box it off during her visitor visa stay, however you have to figure out whether she has enough time to resolve any health matters that may have a bearing on the visa decision.
You will also have to explain why she wasn't on the original Resident visa application and you'll also have to have signed authority from her father that allows her to move to NZ.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...sa-application
I find it unusual that she would need permission from the OPs EX since she is over 18 and under UK law is classed as an adult, even though she is dependant on her parents for financial support.She may need confirmation that he will continue to part support her financially unless Mum and her husband will be picking up complete support. Also hopefully she has no other medical problems that Immigration may see as being a drain on NZ resources. It's nice to see that NZ classes a dependant child as up to age 24, in most countries it's either 18 or 21. Good Luck with the application!
Old Apr 13th 2017, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

smileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nice

Thanks for the replies.

I assume that if we start the application while she is staying with us, but then the 6 months runs out and she has to go back to UK, that it won't adversely affect her application?

I seem to recall, in the past, reading something about it being more expensive to apply from NZ, and for the application timescale to be longer, but I've searched and can't find that info again anywhere.

It won't be a problem if we do need a letter from her father - but at age 23 I suspect it probably won't be necessary - we will be supporting her entirely as part of our family in NZ without any ongoing support from him.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I know virtually nothing about NZ immigration but would have thought if the 6 months runs out, but you have an application in with NZ Immi , that they would extend her visa until a decision has been made. Hopefully one of our NZ Immi experts will be along with more pertinent info. please remember it's a holiday weekend so it might take a day or two to get answers.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes. She will be able to apply for an extension to the visitors visa if needs be.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the further replies.

When you say 'extension to her visitor visa' - is that still the case when she won't actually have a physical 'visa' as such to visit from UK - she will just be here as a UK passport holder being allowed to stay for 6 months?
Old Apr 15th 2017, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Daisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smileypigface
Thank you for the further replies.

When you say 'extension to her visitor visa' - is that still the case when she won't actually have a physical 'visa' as such to visit from UK - she will just be here as a UK passport holder being allowed to stay for 6 months?
She will have a 6 month visitor's visa stamped in her passport upon arrival in NZ.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 1:20 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

before paying any money out I would call Immigration and ask them about the fact that she is being supported by yourself and her father who will remain in the UK if she still qualifies? I could see if there was going to be a problem it would lay there??
Old Apr 15th 2017, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks MrsFychan - I'll give them a call on Tuesday.

I'm hoping our situation will qualify as the immigration website says "Children aged 21-24 are only considered dependent if they reply on an adult for financial support." - it doesn't stipulate which adult. Obviously when she was here for 6 months in 2015 we supported her completely.

I'll post back with Immigration's reply - you never know it might help someone else in similar circumstances.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 3:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I'm hoping our situation will qualify as the immigration website says "Children aged 21-24 are only considered dependent if they reply on an adult for financial support." - it doesn't stipulate which adult. .....
How does an adult descendant become "dependent" unless they are a full time student or disabled and unable to work?

I would have been booted out of my parents' house if I wasn't self-supporting within a few weeks of graduating from uni. ..... As it was, I labored in a warehouse (earning well above what minimum wage would have been if it had existed back then) every summer from a few days after I left school until a few days before I started my career job, and therefore I was potentially independent from the age of 18.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

They become 'dependant' by being born ... they remain 'dependant' until they become 'independent' - well done for becoming independent by 18 - I left my parents home when I got my first job aged 17 and therefore became independent.

Pats on the back to you and I for becoming independent at that age. Not everyone is 'us' though .. and there are many reasons why someone might not follow the path we took.

Just because you haven't experienced a different path in life doesn't mean that different paths don't exist.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 4:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

They become 'dependant' by being born ... they remain 'dependant' until they become 'independent' - well done for becoming independent by 18 - I left my parents home when I got my first job aged 17 and therefore became independent.

Pats on the back to you and I for becoming independent at that age. Not everyone is 'us' though .. and there are many reasons why someone might not follow the path we took.

Just because you haven't experienced a different path in life doesn't mean that different paths don't exist.
OK, let's cut to the chase - why doesn't your daughter have a job/career?
Old Apr 15th 2017, 5:00 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OK, let's cut to the chase - why doesn't your daughter have a job/career?
As long as there are no health issues, is that question relevant? If NZ allow dependent child status until 23 that's all that matters surely?
Old Apr 15th 2017, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

I don't believe the question to be relevant - and I don't feel the need / desire to answer it on this forum as it doesn't add anything further to enable people here to answer my question.

I'm very grateful for the help offered and I'll be following up the suggestion made up-thread.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.