Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Bricklayer and Counsellor looking to immigrate

Bricklayer and Counsellor looking to immigrate

Old May 26th 2020, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

CharlieCampbell83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bricklayer and Counsellor looking to immigrate

Hi all,

This is my first time on any type of forum so please forgive me if I am not up to scratch with how things work.

My husband is a bricklayer but can turn his hand to most things and is aged 39. I am a fully qualified Counsellor ( Level 4 diploma) working under BACP and have my own private practice, I am 37

We have 2 children aged 11 and 10.

We are looking to relocate to Bay of plenty NZ, although open to suggestions.

I understand that financially we would be better off in the UK as my husband is earning in the 40% Tax bracket here, however we want a better way of life so they pay cut we are happy to suffer as long as we can get by.

What we are looking for:
*outdoor lifestyle
*Friendly community
*Opportunity for kids to have a better way of life (is it safe for children to play out, what is bullying like there?
*Clean environment
I can't think of much more for now but I am sure it will come up.

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks in advance

​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​
​​​​

Last edited by CharlieCampbell83; May 26th 2020 at 10:57 pm. Reason: Want to clarify county of relocation
Old May 26th 2020, 10:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklayer and Counsellor looking to immigrate

Welcome to BE.

Please read through our Site Rules...https://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ Your username contravenes the our rules, please hit the ‘Contact Us’ tab at the bottom of this page and request a change of username.

Old May 27th 2020, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RiseTherapy
Hi all,

This is my first time on any type of forum so please forgive me if I am not up to scratch with how things work.

My husband is a bricklayer but can turn his hand to most things and is aged 39. I am a fully qualified Counsellor ( Level 4 diploma) working under BACP and have my own private practice, I am 37

We have 2 children aged 11 and 10.

We are looking to relocate to Bay of plenty NZ, although open to suggestions.

I understand that financially we would be better off in the UK as my husband is earning in the 40% Tax bracket here, however we want a better way of life so they pay cut we are happy to suffer as long as we can get by.

​​​​
I really hope these aren't famous last words. I'm not saying that to be snarky.

You have to treat this as a business deal. "Outdoor lifestyle" is meaningless without the money to be able to access it. The "NZ lifestyle" is not low cost, and it is out of reach for most New Zealanders.

It's one thing to think you are up for a major and lengthy pay sacrifice when you are still in the UK and still earning money. But after a year or two on NZ wages, reflecting on what you can no longer afford? You may have to cut a lot closer to the bone than you realise. The change in financial circumstances can also stress families, and family relationships, beyond belief.

Have a good read of the pages in this forum and the challenges many face. NZ will not be delivering you heaps more leisure time than you currently have in the UK; you will be working as hard, and in fact probably harder, in the Bay of Plenty than in the UK. You still have to go to work and the kids will still have to go to school. That doesn't change.

Last edited by carcajou; May 27th 2020 at 1:22 pm.
Old May 29th 2020, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with what Carajou says re NZ wages compared to UK. The average wages are roughly equal according to official OECD data. https://data.oecd.org/earnwage/average-wages.htm
Similar story when looking at PPP figures, which take into account Cost of Living as well as income. There are some sectors where wages here are better. Nursing, for example. So I wouldn't think you would necessarily be worse off for wages as a bricklayer and counsellor. Groceries are dearer here, but other things are cheaper. Although it's obvious some people from the UK struggle in NZ, some don't, as much as they would anywhere else in the world, but they're probably less likely to post about it here.

I would be concerned with the virus though. Without a vaccine available, what happens next is anyone's guess. Why put further uncertainty into the situation by making such massive plans like moving to another country? We may not be even opening our borders for a couple of years yet.
Old May 29th 2020, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
I disagree with what Carajou says re NZ wages compared to UK. The average wages are roughly equal according to official OECD data. https://data.oecd.org/earnwage/average-wages.htm
Similar story when looking at PPP figures, which take into account Cost of Living as well as income. There are some sectors where wages here are better. Nursing, for example. So I wouldn't think you would necessarily be worse off for wages as a bricklayer and counsellor. Groceries are dearer here, but other things are cheaper. Although it's obvious some people from the UK struggle in NZ, some don't, as much as they would anywhere else in the world, but they're probably less likely to post about it here.

I would be concerned with the virus though. Without a vaccine available, what happens next is anyone's guess. Why put further uncertainty into the situation by making such massive plans like moving to another country? We may not be even opening our borders for a couple of years yet.
It depends what part of the UK he is a brickie.
If he is a brickie down south they where on over 200 sometimes 220 a day in pounds a couple of years ago before I left. on price work and working 8 till 3.
No way your going get anything like that for a brickie in NZ.
Plus most trades are self employed. fuel rebates and tax rebates. Low National insurance
He must be on decent money in UK if hes in the 40% bracket.