Bonus points for qualifications

Old Aug 5th 2013, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

sameerawm is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bonus points for qualifications

Hi there,

I’m a Civil engineer currently working out of NZ and I haven’t been in NZ for any second. I went through the points table and ended with 120. According to the 2013 records I’m not going to obtain PR with this total. But I’m still struggling with following points.

Bonus points for qualifications
• 10 points: qualification in an identified future growth area
• 10 points: qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage

Can I claim these 20 points to reach 140?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 8:05 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonus points for qualifications

Yes, you are unlikely to be selected with a score of 120, unless that score includes points for a job offer.

You can only claim bonus points in an identified future growth area if you already have a job offer in place and civil engineering is not classed as a growth area anyway. So you can't claim these points.

You can claim points for a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage without a job offer but your qualification must align with this:
A Washington Accord accredited engineering degree OR Either a qualification specifically recognised by NZQA as comparable to a: Bachelor of Engineering, or Bachelor of Engineering (with Honours), or Master of Engineering degree OR A bachelor degree (Level 7) or higher with a letter from IPENZ certifying that the degree and any further learning meets the academic requirements for registration as a 'Chartered Professional Engineer' in New Zealand OR NZ registration as a 'Chartered Professional Engineer'
If your work experience is not in a comparable labour market then you can only claim points for this if you fit into the above as well. There is an exception for those on the LTSSL.
P
Old Aug 6th 2013, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

sameerawm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Persephone
Yes, you are unlikely to be selected with a score of 120, unless that score includes points for a job offer.

You can only claim bonus points in an identified future growth area if you already have a job offer in place and civil engineering is not classed as a growth area anyway. So you can't claim these points.

You can claim points for a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage without a job offer but your qualification must align with this:

If your work experience is not in a comparable labour market then you can only claim points for this if you fit into the above as well. There is an exception for those on the LTSSL.
P
It was very help-full to get understand the situation Persephone. Thanks a lot...
I guess if can i get a job offer i'm definitely in. So my next problem is how can i get a job offer? I haven't gone under NZQA as well but i'm pretty much sure that i'm qualified.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:44 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at the list of recognised qualifications? Is your degree on there?
If not then you'll need it assessing. The LTSSL states that NZ registration is enough to claim points for being in absolute shortage, however it depends on what the registration process involves as to whether that's on option for you.