Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Body Mass Index over 35 - will our ITA be accepted?

Body Mass Index over 35 - will our ITA be accepted?

Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

MissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the rough
Question Body Mass Index over 35 - will our ITA be accepted?

Hi folks,

Here's hoping you can help. One member of our family has a Body Mass Index over 35. We note in one of our ITA documents that it says " people with a high BMI (over 35) are not likely to meet health policy due to the long term health risks associated with obesity".

Does this mean that we will be automatically excluded for this alone.

Would love to hear if anyone has personal experience that could help us.

Thanks,

Miss Marple
Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Body Mass Index over 35 - will our ITA be accepted?

Hi Miss Marple,

There are several threads on BMI here. It seems to be that if your BMI is over 35, you are referred to the Medical Assessor and they then ask that you get your BMI down. I believe they give you a time scale but can't remember exactly.

I'm sure others who have been through this will post replies and offer help/encouragement.

Best of luck!
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Ive not even filed an EOI yet but as a result of these forums i am fore armed with the knowledge that im a fatty and need to sort it out..

Its dropping off me as i type
Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

MissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the rough

Hi Willester,

Good luck with your quest!

Miss Marple
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

The UK immigration office is extremely hot on refusing people on the basis of BMI -we had a lot of trouble even though we had consultants letters saying that Neil was totally healthy otherwise. The NZ offices seem to have a more relaxed view.

You do have some options: obviously whoever it is could try and lose weight, but in some cases, e.g. professional rugby players, this is not an option. Or you could fill in the forms, have the medicals, make sure that the high weight is not deemed to be causing any other health problems then go for a medical waiver. I vaguely recall, but I have no idea where from , that these have been granted for BMIs of up to 40. I think over 40 is just a basic "no" though.

I did hear a tale of a rugby player being refused entry for BMI even though he had a job in NZ. As a rugby player It took quite a while anda lot of work to get him allowed in apparently
Old Jul 14th 2010, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jan and Neil,

Thanks so much for your post - it's really helpful.

Jules
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Sorry to say I had so many problem because of my BMI being higher than 35.
If you have a look at my history it will tell you my story. The ending to the story is that I now live in New Zealand but it was a very stressful time getting here.

If I can help in any way, dont hesitate to ask

Good luck
Karen
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:24 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

How about watching what they eat and doing more exercise, voila! It's not rocket science and its always good to be healthier!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:01 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
How about watching what they eat and doing more exercise, voila! It's not rocket science and its always good to be healthier!
So dan, do you only post on here when you're bored?

I'm sure that you're aware that your comment above is very patronising as was your last post in this forum where you accused someone you'd never met of being greedy.

Although I'm sure that you're only looking to annoy rather than help, perhaps I should point out that having a high BMI does not mean that you're stupid. If you'd read the posts above you'd have realised that people with a high muscle to fat ratio can also have a high BMI so it doesn't even mean that you are unfit.

I also have to assume that you've never personally had to lose a significant amount of weight. The theory might be simple but the practice is much harder.

Last edited by JohnThePom; Jul 17th 2010 at 10:20 pm. Reason: Removed the reference to trolling
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:15 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Wilester;8698879Its dropping off me as i type [/QUOTE]

blimey mate, if the energy involved in typing has you sweating, you're in a worse state than me, and I'm a fat git...
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:02 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

I have never had a weight problem as I watch what I eat, exercise everyday and don't shovel chips and other rubbish down me, so no I don't know what its like but ultimately if anyone eats less and exercise more then they will lose weight, period!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 4:55 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had a weight problem as I watch what I eat, exercise everyday and don't shovel chips and other rubbish down me, so no I don't know what its like but ultimately if anyone eats less and exercise more then they will lose weight, period!
Good on yer. May you live long and prosper.

Please note that for something so apparently simple, in practice, it's surprisingly difficult to lose weight and even more difficult to keep it off. You really have to have tried it to appreciate that.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
blimey mate, if the energy involved in typing has you sweating, you're in a worse state than me, and I'm a fat git...
lol yeah it was running through my fingers and over the keyboard
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Want to tell that to fit rugby blokes whose BMI would put them well out of NZ range? Muscle isn't taken account of in a BMI
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:56 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Want to tell that to fit rugby blokes whose BMI would put them well out of NZ range?
Would assume they have a route via medical waiver for that (how many of those are there anyway pa??) Tho from your sig you are, umm, keen on that type

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.