British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Blood tests through GP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/blood-tests-through-gp-595427/)

jamtart Mar 4th 2009 4:03 pm

Blood tests through GP

I need to get a repeat of my ALT and ASt levels, they were slightly abovet he normal range when I had the medical. I did go to my GP straight after and asked for them to be repeated (back in NOv) and when I rang up for the results they sais everything was normal. So when my case officer requested a further blood test for these two readings I phoned up the GP surgery and got a printout of my last blood test - only to pick it up and find that they didn't do my ALT levels, only the other liver function tests. My husband went for his repeat test today and the GP told him they don't do ALT readings.

I'm going in on Monday and I'll have a word and see if they can do them specially for me, but if they don't where else do I go? Do people go back to the places where they had the medicals? (And pay lots again!!)

I'm in a panic as I want to get everything sorted asap - have had the telephone interview yesterday and really want to hear the outcome but guess I won't till all the bloods have been sorted. (Didn't think the interview went brilliantly but that's another thread!!!)

Thanks

J

Yummy_Mummy Mar 4th 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Blood tests through GP

Hey

I am unsure why the GP cant check ALT, maybe its something to do with the labs the bloods are sent to!

However i am sure all basic blood tests include AST AST and GGT. Well the results i check do lol But we use private labs!! Maybe thats the difference.

I know that many private medical services also use either private labs or their own. GP practices usually send their bloods to a Hospital Lab for checking.

I guess you can only ask, otherwise its back for a repeat blood test and more cash. Make sure you tell them its only for a blood test and result...nothing else.

Caz xx

Paula2007 Mar 4th 2009 10:07 pm

Hi Jamtart

I had to have a repeat blood test for eGFR from my private New Zealand Medical a few weeks ago - they suggested that I go to my Practice Nurse as the New Zealand doctor I had gone to was quite a way from where I lived.

When I rang up my GP practice for an appointment with the Practice Nurse I was asked by the receptionist "is it a clinical need" - I said that I thought it was as it could stop me emigrating and that obviously I was not 100% according to the blood test result!! She was not happy and said that she would have to speak to the lab that analysis the blood tests (I assume the local NHS hospital to see if they could do it). I had mentioned that I had had a private medical - I even said I would pay for this second blood test - and was getting more and more worked up on the phone as it is such a stressful time anyway.

In the end I said "forget it" - took a further half day off work and went back to the original New Zealand doctor that took the first lot of blood. I was expecting to pay for this second blood test as it was still a private medical/appointment but nothing was said and when I enquired with the receptionist if there was a further charge - she gave the doctor that did it a quick ring to her office to check and they said "no charge".

Probably thought, poor thing, she has already paid nearly £550 for two private medicals up to now!! (husband had his as well with them).

Its a very grey area these repeated tests. Technically it was a private medical that flagged up the problems in the first place - but I think if you are prepared to pay for them - then does it matter who does them.

Good luck

Paula

jo_hedge Mar 4th 2009 10:23 pm

Hi Jamtart

This whole medical/blood test thing is a nightmare. I had to have all mine done again. I went to my GP & they were done free of charge (he's a very nice man!). I did ask my IO if I needed to go back to the panel doctor who did the original tests or my GP & she didn't deign to give me an answer, so I did the cheap option. I'm now waiting for a response from the MA.

Good luck with your new tests.

Jo