British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Blood Test results (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/blood-test-results-684711/)

Laloo Sep 9th 2010 3:27 pm

Blood Test results

Hi All

Results came back yesterday and it appears there were a few slight issues:

Two of my children had slightly raised protein, albumin and cholesterol and my wife had slightly raised platelets. All their reports however were marked as "No significant or abnormal findings".

Does anyone know if these findings will cause any problems and will they be referred to a MA?

Is there anything we could be doing now to get the readings within normal parameters to pre-empt NZ immigration?

Thanks.

Nelly Trolley Sep 9th 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Blood Test results

Hi there
Has doctor signed off your medical assessments and forwarded them to you after seeing your blood results or are you only in possession of the blood results?
In our case the doctor witheld the medical reports until we had satisfactory blood results. We initially failed on liver function gammaGT and cholesterol. We were instructed to consult our local GP to find a way to address the problems. They weren't much help as they felt our levels were fine. We researched the probs and took new food supplements and booked monthly blood tests until we got the levels down to those acceptable to NZ immigration. We then sent the new results to the Immigration Panel Docotr who signed our assessments off and forwarded them to us to send in with our application.
If you want to know which supps worked for us then let me know.

jmh Sep 9th 2010 6:07 pm

I don't know, but results vary quite a bit between labs and between tests done on different days. Would be worth thinking about having them done again to check accuracy.

Laloo Sep 9th 2010 6:43 pm

Hi Nelly Trolley

We've received all the forms back with the doctor marking them as "No significant or abnormal findings". however with the slightly raised cholesterol, albumin and protein in the kids and raised platelets in my wife. It would be appreciated if you could let me know what supplements they can take to reduce these.

Thanks

Nelly Trolley Sep 12th 2010 10:38 am

Hi Laloo

If the doctor has returned your medicals I would think you are okay to send them in. Do you have an immigration adviser who would confirm that. Ours was very pedantic and insisted everything was 100% before she would let us submit our application.

I am not a doctor but there is plenty of info on the net should you need to research it. Albumin and protein I think are related. I am guessing that the platelet issue is related to iron? If so Spatone is very effective at quickly improving iron levels relative to anything else on the market.

The key area we had to address was raised cholesterol. This is what we did:
1 Tbsp oat bran daily
1 Tbsp flax seeds daily
Both the above stirred into our Oats so simple porridge every morning
Replace dairy with Flora Proactive products - expensive but effective
We had Proactive milk, butter and the small yoghurt drinks
Take 2000mg of Vitamin C daily
Take 2 milk thistle supplements daily

We managed to reduce cholesterol from 7.2 to 4.9 in about 8 weeks so get on with it now.

Please remember that your medical assessments must be no older than 3 months on the date you submit them to INZ so the clock is ticking.

Best of luck!:

Laloo Sep 13th 2010 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley (Post 8842516)
Hi Laloo

If the doctor has returned your medicals I would think you are okay to send them in. Do you have an immigration adviser who would confirm that. Ours was very pedantic and insisted everything was 100% before she would let us submit our application.

I am not a doctor but there is plenty of info on the net should you need to research it. Albumin and protein I think are related. I am guessing that the platelet issue is related to iron? If so Spatone is very effective at quickly improving iron levels relative to anything else on the market.

The key area we had to address was raised cholesterol. This is what we did:
1 Tbsp oat bran daily
1 Tbsp flax seeds daily
Both the above stirred into our Oats so simple porridge every morning
Replace dairy with Flora Proactive products - expensive but effective
We had Proactive milk, butter and the small yoghurt drinks
Take 2000mg of Vitamin C daily
Take 2 milk thistle supplements daily

We managed to reduce cholesterol from 7.2 to 4.9 in about 8 weeks so get on with it now.

Please remember that your medical assessments must be no older than 3 months on the date you submit them to INZ so the clock is ticking.

Best of luck!:

Thanks for that, I'll certainly try everything you've mentioned.