British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Bit of a downer parent visa time line (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/bit-downer-parent-visa-time-line-744866/)

yvonnewantstoemigrate Jan 13th 2012 6:50 pm

Bit of a downer parent visa time line

I aam sorry I posted on the wrong site, but can anyone tell me if the times for a parent visa are as long as 2-3 years now. Our daughter who is sponsoring us phoned the offices and was told this:confused:

BEVS Jan 13th 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Bit of a downer parent visa time line

Hi there and welcome to our wee NZ forum YvonneWTE.

This place is all about info exchange, caring and sharing so don't ever be sorry for asking away.

I know that the timelines for parent sponsor visa can be long & 2 years is often given as a guideline . Not sure why they would have been extended to 3 years though.

The website is still stating 18/24 months - click Link. Maybe this has been effected by the Xch quakes and under-staffing

Have you thought about multiple entry in the interim. Scroll down the link provided to see about this visa click Link

yvonnewantstoemigrate Jan 14th 2012 7:54 am

Thank you Bevs, this makes it a little better, we are contemplating going over later this year and staying a few months, do you know if whilst we are there and we get a visa could we activate it from NZ or do we need to do it from England

simonmarkellis Jan 15th 2012 1:56 am

Originally Posted by yvonnewantstoemigrate (Post 9841537)
Thank you Bevs, this makes it a little better, we are contemplating going over later this year and staying a few months, do you know if whilst we are there and we get a visa could we activate it from NZ or do we need to do it from England

You can activate it from within NZ, they won't make you leave to just come back again...

yvonnewantstoemigrate Jan 15th 2012 8:39 am

That is great news, thanks Simonm I only hope that the visa comes whilst we are over in NZ so we dont have to too and fro .

royston10 Mar 4th 2012 7:33 pm

hi,
We are currently here on a parent grandparent multi entry visa .our son is sponsoring us and we have put in for residency also .You have to have medicals done in britain and chest x rays.
the multi entry visa means that you can come out to n/z now instead of waiting for your residency to go through.We have got to go out of n,z every 6 months in order to get our visa stamped again and can stay for another 6 months ,when again we shall have to go out of the country for one day,then have our visa stamped again for another 6 months
After 3 times immigration say our residency should be through and the visas then will cease.At least we are here with our family thats all that matters.

simonmarkellis Mar 4th 2012 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by royston10 (Post 9935340)
hi,
We are currently here on a parent grandparent multi entry visa .our son is sponsoring us and we have put in for residency also .You have to have medicals done in britain and chest x rays.
the multi entry visa means that you can come out to n/z now instead of waiting for your residency to go through.We have got to go out of n,z every 6 months in order to get our visa stamped again and can stay for another 6 months ,when again we shall have to go out of the country for one day,then have our visa stamped again for another 6 months
After 3 times immigration say our residency should be through and the visas then will cease.At least we are here with our family thats all that matters.

Good stuff... at least your here.... my Mum comes out in a couple of weeks like yourself on a multiple entry visa, having just sold her house. She submitted her residency application in Oct 2010, so is quite a step through the whole process and hopefully will have received her residency in the first 6 months she's here, so she won't have to pop across the ditch for a weekend...

BlackCrossInResidence Mar 5th 2012 6:33 am

I think you'll find the waiting time is nearer 18 months than 3 years.
Just got mine.

royston10 Mar 6th 2012 12:08 am

Originally Posted by BlackCrossInResidence (Post 9936066)
I think you'll find the waiting time is nearer 18 months than 3 years.
Just got mine.

did you come out on the parent g/parent multi visa system like we have done?

BlackCrossInResidence Mar 16th 2012 1:05 am

Originally Posted by royston10 (Post 9937769)
did you come out on the parent g/parent multi visa system like we have done?

Yes I did but I ping ponged backwards and forwards on it rather than do the straight 18 months.

(Haven't done a winter anywhere for 5 years now. Which is nice ;o)

royston10 Mar 16th 2012 2:25 am

Sounds good but i think we will do 3 in 18 months and trust our residency comes through before the 4th is up .we are planning to visit sydney for the first one then fiji for the second and have a good look round for the 3rd

simonmarkellis Mar 16th 2012 2:37 am

FYI, my Mum lodged her application in Oct 2010, and just got allocated a case officer last Month... So 14 mths... just waiting to see what they say...:fingerscrossed:

wendy_woo Mar 19th 2012 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 9955637)
FYI, my Mum lodged her application in Oct 2010, and just got allocated a case officer last Month... So 14 mths... just waiting to see what they say...:fingerscrossed:

Wow, good news, we are 7 months into our waiting time, would be great if it was only another 7 months away to getting our case officer, however we are resigned to the 18-24 months wait so as not to be disappointed!! Hope all works well for Mum!

deblee Mar 23rd 2012 10:52 am

Hi everyone,

Do any of you know that if a parent was to go to NZ for 9 months on a visitors visa and then return to the UK and apply for a multi entry visa, would they still have to be out of NZ for the 9 months??!! I'm trying to find the best way possible for us to not be apart for too long as our family basically consists of me, my 7 yr old daughter, and my mum.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Deb x :D

wendy_woo Mar 23rd 2012 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by deblee (Post 9968347)
Hi everyone,

Do any of you know that if a parent was to go to NZ for 9 months on a visitors visa and then return to the UK and apply for a multi entry visa, would they still have to be out of NZ for the 9 months??!! I'm trying to find the best way possible for us to not be apart for too long as our family basically consists of me, my 7 yr old daughter, and my mum.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Deb x :D

Hi Deb, I thought if you are a Brit you can only get a 6 months visitor visa, I am going to NZ next week for 3.5 months as daughter is having our first grandchild :) I am going to ask customs if I can come and go as I please as a visitor as long as I stay no longer than 6 months (the visitor visa max time) until we get our residents visa under the parent category as no-one on the forum has answered an earlier question, similar to yours i.e. do you have to be away for a length of time if returning on a visitor visa. I cannot find anything on websites so thought best to ask at customs! will post the answer if I get one in a couple of weeks!