Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Better to apply for residence after 12 months?

Better to apply for residence after 12 months?

Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

jenham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Better to apply for residence after 12 months?

I've just started doing our PR expression of interest, and there are lots of questions that mention whether we've been here for 12 months/working for 12 months etc. Will it make any difference to the application? Should we wait until we've been here 12 months?

We're on 3 year visas so no real hurry I'd just rather we could get the benefits of residency (income replacement cover in particular) and my daughter is only on a visitors visa so she can't start school until we've changed that (she's 4 now).

Thanks

Jennie
Old Mar 18th 2011, 3:57 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better to apply for residence after 12 months?

Originally Posted by jenham
...and my daughter is only on a visitors visa so she can't start school until we've changed that (she's 4 now)
Should be straightforward, if you had applied at the same time as your visa was issued they would have happily granted her a student visa and she would have been elegible for 20hrs/week kindy at no/little charge.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:23 am
Just Joined

jenham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Better to apply for residence after 12 months?

Originally Posted by simonsi
Should be straightforward, if you had applied at the same time as your visa was issued they would have happily granted her a student visa and she would have been elegible for 20hrs/week kindy at no/little charge.
Oooh now I'm worried, she's had nearly a year of free ECE hours - they told me at immigration that a visitors visa was fine for that. I hope that's true...