British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Best visa route to take... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/best-visa-route-take-753140/)

alex_onthemove Mar 29th 2012 11:02 am

Best visa route to take...

Hey,

So in the early stages of planning the next big move... My girlfriend and I want to move to NZ (otherwise I'd be posting this somewhere else!!!) but having issues deciding the best way to go about it. So any help/experiences/advice would be much appreciated.

Some background first; We have enough points (140+) on the EOI to go straight through the pool stage, as we are both young (< 30) very qualified (Im a research chemist and she is a statistician, both PhDs) with 2 years work experience and she has close family already living in NZ. This is 140+ without a job offer. BTW we are British, although I currently live in Spain.

The main problem comes with time frame. We are thinking of moving Aug/Sept time as both our work contracts will have finished, so its ideal timing. The immigration website says 3 months processing time, but from what I've read this is VERY unlikely, more like a year. Which would mean signing new contracts and delaying the adventure.

So we have two plans;

Option 1: Apply for SMC and sort out all the paperwork etc (easier said than done) and when the passports are returned apply for 23 month WHV. Then go out to NZ and wait for the good news (hopefully!) whilst travelling and working/making contacts etc. There are possible pit falls here, if any extra info is needed, or we need an interview at the London office etc etc. Anyone think of any more? I guess we wouldnt need to return to the UK to get the stamps, that sort of thing could be done there, correct?

or

Option 2: Just go out on the WHV and then apply for the SMC from NZ within the first year. Obviously a cheaper (initially) but more risky path as finding relevant work within our fields is going to be nigh on impossible on a WHV. However with the right contacts/intern-ships (yes unpaid work!!!) it could also work, and be less stressful than applying without a job offer. One of my concerns with Option 1. Also you are not meant to find a 'proper' job on the WHV and I would worry if we'd be invalidating our visas and hindering our chances of residency. However lots of people do this, any first hand experience?

It is the old 'chicken and egg question' (no, not which goes better with noodles...) but its easier to find work once in NZ but its easier to get a residency visa with a job.

Im sure this sort of question has been asked a dozen times before, but every ones situation is different so thought I'd try.

As I said, any help/advice/experiences or alternative suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.

alex

simonsi Mar 30th 2012 7:27 pm

Re: Best visa route to take...

Id go option 2 BUT do some research on the opportunities for research chemist and statistician first, suspect they may be overwhelmingly Auckland, maybe Wellington, which may or may not be an issue for you.

Easier to find a job once here irrespective of what visa, especially if you have a fairly clear route to PR.

ellenl Mar 30th 2012 10:11 pm

Hi there,

I would also go with Option 2, once you are there & in a job it will be easier to move up or forward to progress in to something you want to do.
The only problem you may find is when looking for jobs on a WHV some companies may reject you thinking you are only there for a short while.
If you are a good candidate though a lot of companies will hire you regardless.
I did get a really good job when I was on a WHV which lasted me longer than a year which in turn I then extended my visa through my partner.

Good Luck & enjoy

alex_onthemove Apr 1st 2012 8:03 pm

hey guys,

thanks for the input. that is just what I wanted to here. think we've decided to go with this option.

going to try and aim for Wellington area as there are jobs there in both our fields and family close by. ideal. now just to book flights!

thanks for your words of encouragement.

enjoy

simonsi Apr 1st 2012 11:16 pm

BTW when we need visa fast in mid-2010 we went WTR and passports arrived back in 5 days so can be done quick if PR looks to be delayed for whatever reason...