Best Time to move with children.

Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

usernoel03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Time to move with children.

I'm startimg the "time line" of when it would be best for us to come across. My daughter will be doing her GCSE's next year and then wants to stay on at 6th form. This would mean she would be 18 when we would want to emigrate. Would it be better to try to move earlier so she is under 18 ?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best Time to move with children.

Hello,

I can tell you my plans. My lad is 11 so no issues there, he cant wait to go.
As for my 16 year old girl who has already started college.. When we go over to NZ this year she will automatically go back to school as they dont leave untill they are 18. She may have to redo her exams, o'levels etc but she will have a good head start. when they start college in NZ if you are not a resident then you will incure college fee's. Im sure this is correct but someone may correct me. I assume it would be easier to move children when they are younger due to the studying and of course a boyfriend issue, not that it should stop you but the olde they are the harder it may be to get them to move.
A friend of mine had this issue and the 18 yr old girl stayed in the uk. She then left to go to NZ eventually anyway.. Im guessing everyones situation differs.

Regards, Gary.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:33 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Briefly:

NZ High School covers years 9 - 13. Years 10 - 13 are the NCEA exam years (level 1 - 3). Level 2 = GCSE grades A-C (IIRR), level 3 = A levels and uni entrance.

Most year 13 students turn 18 during this year (though some may be a few months older, and some a few months younger).

Depending on what visa the parents come out on, most schools will treat your children as domestic students so you will only have to pay the usual 'voluntary' school donation and associated costs (just a heads up, you will be required to pay for all stationery - books, pens, pencils etc, and some text/work books). But once they are old enough for uni they will be classed as international students and will have to pay international fees. If you all have PR then international uni fees might not apply - the rules around this changed recently and I'm not sure about how long you have to have had PR for before that counts. Do a search on here for it, as I know all this has been discussed several times before.

HTH
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by usernoel03
I'm startimg the "time line" of when it would be best for us to come across. My daughter will be doing her GCSE's next year and then wants to stay on at 6th form. This would mean she would be 18 when we would want to emigrate. Would it be better to try to move earlier so she is under 18 ?
Not quite sure what you are asking here. Are you concerned she wouldn't be seen as part of your family for PR purposes? If your 18 yr is dependant on you at the time and during the NZIS PR application then she is considered part of your family and will be considered as such on your application.