British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Best route to migration? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/best-route-migration-720455/)

Lorolo Jun 10th 2011 7:11 pm

Best route to migration?

Hi guys

My name is Loren and I live in the north of England. Im fair young-ish (24) and from being quite a pro active individual i have learnt that things could be better for me and the girl i love if we got out of Britain and lived in New Zealand. Mostly because we want to get away from our parents. I dont have a full degree but Im a Jack of all trades. Anyway, my girlfriend comes under the skilled migrant category so she could get citizenship. We're arguing about me just being an illegal alien and its really confusing. So basically if any of you guys know of a route i can take to get citizenship i would really appreciate the advice.

Cheers pals,

Loren.

hazeandsteve Jun 10th 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Best route to migration?

Firstly, I'd recommend that you see if you qualify under the imanimmaturelittlegit category.

GoldCoastMag Jun 10th 2011 11:55 pm

Hi Loren, have you looked into a working holiday visa? The last thing you want to do is become illegally present as that may prevent you from attaining your goal of citizenship.

The first thing you need is to apply for the correct visa. Once you can determine if you qualify for permanent residence, either in your own right or as a partner to your girlfriend, then you may be able to stay long enough to qualify for citizenship.

I dont know the rules for NZ immigration, but I do know going about it in the correct way is the only way to migrate to most countries, and it is worth doing the research to make sure you dont fail in your ultimate goal.

Good luck

Originally Posted by Lorolo (Post 9424673)
Hi guys

My name is Loren and I live in the north of England. Im fair young-ish (24) and from being quite a pro active individual i have learnt that things could be better for me and the girl i love if we got out of Britain and lived in New Zealand. Mostly because we want to get away from our parents. I dont have a full degree but Im a Jack of all trades. Anyway, my girlfriend comes under the skilled migrant category so she could get citizenship. We're arguing about me just being an illegal alien and its really confusing. So basically if any of you guys know of a route i can take to get citizenship i would really appreciate the advice.

Cheers pals,

Loren.

RobDon Jun 11th 2011 3:13 am

Hi guys

Cheers pals,

Loren.

You have to be a permanent resident, and live in NZ for 5 years, before you can become a citizen.;)

newkiwi Jun 12th 2011 1:21 pm

Hi guys

Cheers pals,

Loren.

if you have time, and have lived together as a couple for some time (not sure if its one or two years), and can prove this, you could look to apply as a de facto partner, if your gf qualifies for PR. That involves quite a bit of paperwork.

seeing that you are under 30, you can apply for a working holiday visa under your own steam, which is pretty straight forward, and look at getting all your ducks in a row to apply as a partner to a Permanent Resident (yor GF in due course)

Being a "jack of all trades" probably means that for you the best way to get Residency is to apply as a partner of your GF

Also, dont confuse residency with citizenship, what you want to look at getting is residency, citizenship is at least 5 years down the track

crumpy10 Jun 15th 2011 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 9424974)
Firstly, I'd recommend that you see if you qualify under the imanimmaturelittlegit category.

naughty! :thumbsup:

Stormer999 Jun 15th 2011 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 9424974)

Did you have a bad day or has your beer gone flat?:thumbdown:

hazeandsteve Jun 22nd 2011 6:04 am

It's the poor quality of cheap red plonk in Auckland....I think the lack of altitude makes it less cheering!:drinkwine: