Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

benefits in doing Skilled Migrants visa vs Work visa

benefits in doing Skilled Migrants visa vs Work visa

Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice
Default benefits in doing Skilled Migrants visa vs Work visa

Hi

I am a 34yr old radiation therapist with a potential job in NZ.
I see the EOI is quite expensive, but would it pay me to do it (or not?)
Are there any benefits in doing it this way or would a 2 yr work visa be sufficient?

We are hoping to move to NZ permanently so would be after PR when we were eligible for it.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:26 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: benefits in doing Skilled Migrants visa vs Work visa

The EOI route is expensive but if you want residency and a permanent move then you will have to do it at some point unless you meant the Work To Residence visa when you mentioned 2y Work visa.
A work visa does not offer a direct way into gaining residency whereas the WTR visa does.
I don't know whether one is cheaper overall [WTR vs SMC] once you work out the full costs of both. I don't have time to do that now but it will not come down to just application costs as there will be medicals and police certificates to repeat if you go for WTR.
You will also need registration in NZ for your profession.

It also depends on when your employer wants you to start, you may not have time to gain residency and may have to go for a temporary work visa anyway [a 1y work visa does not require medicals to be done so you could get the work visa and send in an EOI at the same time and not have to do two sets of medicals]

Benefits to the EOI: faster route to residency and then PR, more secure-your visa is not tied to a specific job once you've worked for 3m so you could change if you wanted, if you're thinking of citizenship later on then you're not spending two years on a work visa before becoming resident. There will be others!

Downsides: more expensive [probably though probably not by much], if you decide NZ is not for you at all then you've paid more for something when a temporary work visa would have done
Old Mar 27th 2012, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice

Persephone, thank you so much for your reply. I think you've convinced me to go the SM route. Just waiting for a job offer and then I will put in my EOI.

Thanks!
Old Mar 29th 2012, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Persephone, from your reply;
A work visa does not offer a direct way into gaining residency whereas the WTR visa does

I didn't know this and it is worrying.
Is the granting of PR dependent on certain things? ie: it can be granted or denied?

I would be devastated if we couldn't get PR in 2 or 3 years time if we decided we were going to stay for good.

It is possible that I could apply for a temp work visa and then do the EOI/PR route once we're in NZ.
We ideally need to be in NZ by August this year at the very latest. What's your suggestion on experience to get there asap but not shoot ourselves in the foot in the long term re PR?

Any idea if work visas (NOT temp ones) can be done in 1 day at NZ house in London? I heard a rumour that they could...
Help!

Thanks
J
Old Mar 29th 2012, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

With regard to a temp visa in one day, we enquired about this, and our case officer told us the average if its sent is 6-8 weeks now (running behind on quoted times). He said if someone was available and willing to put themselves out, and it wasnt busy (there is no appointment system), that they MIGHT do it in a day, but no guarantee.