Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Being told that I need a visa 'before' they can offer a job....

Being told that I need a visa 'before' they can offer a job....

Old Oct 10th 2011, 7:30 am
Just Joined

CaRo78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Being told that I need a visa 'before' they can offer a job....

I'm in the middle of applying for a job with the department of corrections, as a correctional officer, and I'm part way through the process, and I am being told that I have to 'have a visa or residency in place before they can continue with the application...' I have pointed out that they are an accredited employer and should be able to sponsor etc... however they are insisting that the above, is the case and now i must find myself in a 'catch 22'

I've looked at every work visa possible, and it seems they all need to have an offer of work BEFORE they can be processed?

What do I do? Has anyone found themselves in this situation? Any advice would be great!

Caro
Old Oct 10th 2011, 8:08 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being told that I need a visa 'before' they can offer a job....

You are correct, all work visas require an offer of work in order to apply for them. [Apart from open ones due to partnership which is irrelevant here]

If you get a job with an accredited employer then you would apply for a 'Work to Residence' visa. This grants you a work visa which you can convert to residency once you've worked for them for 24months. You cannot get the visa without a job offer.

Sounds like someone doesn't know what they are talking about, can you take it higher as someone there should know the rules? Perhaps send them a link or quotes from the NZIS website [in a friendly informative way of course].
Can you bypass the person you've been dealing with?

Don't think I can really help you much apart from telling you that you're right- but you knew that anyway
P
Old Oct 10th 2011, 8:33 am
Just Joined

CaRo78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Being told that I need a visa 'before' they can offer a job....

Thanks for that, I thought I was barking up the right tree! I have sent an email pointing this out, and I have enquired if there is anyone there who mainly deals with overseas applications.....

I guess I'm going to have to check my emails tonight to see if I have had an answer!!

Many thanks!

Caro