Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Been reading this forum, now I'm freaking out

Been reading this forum, now I'm freaking out

Old May 6th 2013, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

brinabri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Been reading this forum, now I'm freaking out

Hi all

I've been reading this forum for about a week now. I have submitted an EOI, and have been selected - yippee. I also in the last week received a job offer, so all systems are now go.

....Or they were, until I started reading around the subject a little more, and now I'm freaking out.

I have already had my medical, and applied for my police certificate. I know that I have a caution for battery (which I got after I had an argument with my boyfriend at the time, and I l slapped him [in 2010], something which I completely regret doing even to this day), it was a one off, and I have not been in trouble since, or ever for that matter. I declared this to my employer, and my employers since, so I am not hiding it.

On the EOI there is this question. "Have you ever been convicted or found guilty of any offence(s) against the law in any country (including any suspended sentences or any expunged criminal records)?" I have not been convicted and or never been to court, therefore I answered NO

However reading many of the posts of this forum, where some people with cautions put Yes, and others put No, I'm now spinning round in circles wondering if I should have put yes, and this is all semantics.

I assumed what would happen is that I would be invited to apply, and I would put a covering letter (if required) to explain anything listed on my police certificate that was not asked about in the EOI?

Any advice if I have cocked this up? Or reassurance ...

S
Old May 6th 2013, 8:02 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been reading this forum, now I'm freaking out

not sure how things would pan out, it might just come down to the Case Officer who is assigned to you. maybe they will pick up on it maybe they won't. As you was not convicted I would say don't worry and if they ask, state that the question asked about convictions and you were not. not sure what "expunged" means though?
Old May 6th 2013, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

brinabri is an unknown quantity at this point

I just called immigration, and they were in agreement that it's a caution, and that it will come down the case officer. They gave me Londons email address, and I have emailed an explanation. It's all I can do

Thanks for your reply
Old May 6th 2013, 8:28 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I personally would of just left it to see what would of happened, oh well done now
Old May 6th 2013, 9:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by brinabri
Hi all
Hi and welcome to our wee Nz forum

On the EOI there is this question. "Have you ever been convicted or found guilty of any offence(s) against the law in any country (including any suspended sentences or any expunged criminal records)?" I have not been convicted and or never been to court, therefore I answered NO
Correct. A caution is where you accept responsibility for the action

I assumed what would happen is that I would be invited to apply, and I would put a covering letter (if required) to explain anything listed on my police certificate that was not asked about in the EOI?
Correct. The police check would show the caution. You would have put in a covering letter to explain the caution. NZIS may have chosen to cross check this further from police records.

Perhaps better to have waited adn have this dealt with along with the entire application . It is a strong application as it includes a job offer.

ALL applications are screened by case officers for all sorts of things.

Anyway, it's done now .

From memory , I know of a few that have passed through here with a 'blemish' on their records and it;s made no difference . They still now live in NZ