British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Is BCS(PGD) Recognize qualification in NZQA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/bcs-pgd-recognize-qualification-nzqa-871178/)

peushan Jan 23rd 2016 3:57 pm

Is BCS(PGD) Recognize qualification in NZQA?

Can somebody tell me whether, BCS(Post Graduate Diploma) with project is a recognized qualification in NZQA? Has anybody applied for this? Please help me on this. :(

MrsFychan Jan 23rd 2016 8:25 pm

Re: Is BCS(PGD) Recognize qualification in NZQA?

check out here,Appendix 3 - List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment, choose the country it was gained in and check the list

peushan Jan 24th 2016 2:47 am

Dear MrsFychan,

Thank you for your quick reply. BCS(PGD) is not categorized under Appendix 3 - List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment. :(
Since BCS (PGD) is not included there, I want to check has anybody done the NZQA skill assessment for BCS (PGD) with project.

BCS(PGD) with project is equivalent to a UK Honours degree.

Thanks in advance.

PB65 Jan 24th 2016 5:47 am

Originally Posted by peushan (Post 11846338)
Dear MrsFychan,

Thank you for your quick reply. BCS(PGD) is not categorized under Appendix 3 - List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment. :(
Since BCS (PGD) is not included there, I want to check has anybody done the NZQA skill assessment for BCS (PGD) with project.

BCS(PGD) with project is equivalent to a UK Honours degree.

Thanks in advance.

Might help some people if you expanded on what BCS/ PGD actually is ? Batchelor Computer Science /Post Graduate Diploma ? Not everyone is familar with every acronym. Also you could have many degrees or diplomas on some list but they are not any use without commercial experience how much of that do you have ?

BEVS Jan 24th 2016 5:48 am

Originally Posted by PB65 (Post 11846407)
Might help some people if you expanded on what BCS/ PGD actually is ? Batchelor Computer Science /Post Graduate Diploma ? Not everyone is familar with every acronym

I'd go along with that.

Welcome to you both by the way.

peushan Jan 24th 2016 6:34 am

Dear PB65,
I assumed many were familiar with BCS(PGD). But it seems it is not :S. However if i expand this, BCS (PGD) stands for Professional Graduate Diploma in IT (British Computer Society, The Chartered Institute for IT). Please see the course content and more details here.
BCS Higher Education Qualifications | Qualifications and Certifications | BCS - The Chartered Institute for IT

I have completed this PGD level with the project. According to there site if somebody completed the PGD level is equivalent to a university honors degree in England. Please see more info here. Our qualifications explained | BCS Higher Education Qualifications | Qualifications and Certifications | BCS - The Chartered Institute for IT

I am an IT professional with 6+ years of experience. I hope these information is suffice. Will i get through from NZQA Skill assessment by having these qualifications?
Thanks in advance.

LittleGreyCat Jan 27th 2016 5:44 pm

With respect, the BCS qualification is held by the BCS to be equivalent to a University Honours Degree.
However if you look at the very short list of Universities which accept it as sufficient for entry to an MSc. program you will not find any top Universities (mid rank, perhaps, but not of Oxbridge status).
This shows that it is not generally accepted in the UK as an honours degree equivalent, but only by a very few Universities.

If it is not listed in the link posted by MrsFychan then it is also not recognised as such by NZ immigration.

You could try contacting the BCS to see if they can help with getting the qualification recognised by NZ.

peushan Jan 27th 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks LittleGreyCat for the reply. I will try that option by contacting BCS. :nod: Thanks.

peushan Jan 27th 2016 6:20 pm

Additionally for all your information. ACS (Australia Computer Society) accept the (BCS) Graduate Diploma in IT as a B.Sc. qualification.

I hope NZQA would do the same. But still i haven't seen anyone assessing this qualification with NZQA. :S

MrsFychan Jan 27th 2016 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by peushan (Post 11850398)
Additionally for all your information. ACS (Australia Computer Society) accept the (BCS) Graduate Diploma in IT as a B.Sc. qualification.

I hope NZQA would do the same. But still i haven't seen anyone assessing this qualification with NZQA. :S

NZ is a completely different country and as such the requirements will be different. You just need to check the link

BEVS Jan 27th 2016 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by peushan (Post 11846010)
Can somebody tell me whether, BCS(Post Graduate Diploma) with project is a recognized qualification in NZQA? Has anybody applied for this? Please help me on this. :(

NZQA - New Zealand Qualification Authority - doesn't work like that.

It won't be about whether the overseas qualification is 'recognised'. It will be about whether the qualification submitted to them for assessment will match the NZQA standard & to what level.

What NZQA will do is look at the overseas qualification module by module & try to match that to an NZ equivalent.

If it does match exactly to one of the NZ IT degrees , then the level will be matched.
If it doesn't but is a part fit , then the level will be different.
If it simply does not match, it could be returned as unable to assess.

This will be a suck it and see. Pay your money and take your chance.

LittleGreyCat Jan 28th 2016 9:52 am

Originally Posted by peushan (Post 11850398)

Cynical me again :(

The ACS and the BCS are (as far as I know) buddy organisations, and so would be likely to recognise each others' qualifications, and their internal assessment of them. Bigging each other up, if you like.

A strong supporting argument would be if Auckland (or in Australia Sydney or Melbourne, for example) University accepted the BCS qualification as an Honours Degree equivalent suitable for entry into post graduate courses.

Or (with a bit of lateral thinking) perhaps if the above Universities accept the ACS qualification as degree level and the ACS qualification maps more or less directly to the BCS qualification.

This would not guarantee success but might build confidence and provide supporting ammunition.

[warning - rant mode on]

I think people should always be wary of non-University bodies which claim their qualifications are the "equivalent" of University degrees.

They may well be in general quality and content, but they also have to have evidence that all (or nearly all) Universities also recognise their qualifications as degree level. Otherwise their claim is "we have the same content and standards as the Universities but the b*stards just won't admit it".

This can then drift into academic politics because the Universities may well not be keen on other organisations claiming parity with their "club".

Also, these days, there are so many recently created Universities in the UK after Labour decided that 50% of all people in full time education should progress through University that a University degree is of questionable value. The first question is "which University?" because academic standards can vary greatly, and entry requirements are sometimes shaded towards filling seats which is (of course) how they make their money.

About 50% of people are of average or above intelligence. The other 50% are of average or below intelligence. The bar for average intelligence is quite low (100 in I.Q. tests I believe). If you match this with the target number of graduates then it looks as though a Degree from a U.K. University indicates that you are probably of at least average intelligence but possibly no more.

Back in the day when only 5-10% of the population went to University a degree was perceived to have a lot more value. Although the first question was still "which University?".:cool:

I think Oxford and Cambridge no longer award Bachelor degrees because that level of degree has been so devalued, but start at Masters qualifications.

[Here endeth the rant!]

Anyway, best of luck finding someone with the BCS qualification who has used it to emigrate to NZ. Again, perhaps the BCS can help you? They may have mailing list contacts in NZ and be willing to pass your contact details to them so that they can contact you if they so wish. Also, is there are forum for BCS students? You may have more luck via that route than on here.

Google tells me that there are 109 Universities in the UK and a further 133 Colleges of Higher Education. The chances of finding a recent graduate in IT from one specific institution out of 242 who is also active on this forum seems very low indeed. I don't even know how may IT people are active on this forum, let alone recent graduates.