British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Back and forth with permanent residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/back-forth-permanent-residency-660382/)

turkeys Mar 21st 2010 9:20 am

Back and forth with permanent residency

Howdy all,

Here's the story in brief

My family and I were issued with a residence permit in Dec 08.
In Dec 10 we shall be heading back to the UK, having spent 3 years in total and having qualified for permanent residency.
We may come back at some stage, though not in the immediate future.

My question is
How do immigration take to people clearing off virtually the second they get PR?
Is there a time limit by which you can return? I am talking within reason here, say in 3 or 4, not 30 years.

If anyone has been in that scenario or has better info than I can get from floundering around the immigration website, that would be much appreciated.

pricklykina Mar 21st 2010 10:33 am

Re: Back and forth with permanent residency

Now someone much more knowledgeable than me will be along soon
but
for now :)
My understanding is that when you get your PR, you will get a returning resident's visa valid for two years...the visa is the bit that allows you in and out of the country...not the PR
To convert this to an indefinite RRV, you need to spend a substantial amount of time in NZ (184 days in each of the twelve months of the two years prior to applying)

I hope i got this right...I think you said on the other pets thread that you don't have PR yet, is that right?

Check out the immi website though...and wait around for the people on here that really know there stuff :)

turkeys Mar 21st 2010 10:44 am

Hiya,

I'm always getting the terminology wrong! I meant rrv Come Dec 10 we will have done the necessary 184 days each 12 months thing (we have done one 12 month period now) and have an indefinite rrv ...I think it will be indefinite. Just wondering how indefinite is truly indefinite? e.g. come back in a few years, five, ten?? But obviously not in 30 odd years.

I'll just say indefinite one more time in case I didn't cram enough into the above paragraph :-)

I should just ring immigration again, but I find this board usually has someone whose been through the scenario already

BEVS Mar 21st 2010 11:28 pm

Indefinite should mean indefinite ...............unless the policy is altered

Am Loolah Mar 22nd 2010 4:44 am

My understanding is BEVS is right, it is valid indefinitely to allow you to return to New Zealand.

But it is not irrevocable.

Obviously it is not the same as citizenship; in that you don't get a New Zealand passport. It seems there is some debate regarding the amount of time you spend out of the country possibly affecting any future application for citizenship if this were a consideration?

Jan n Neil Mar 22nd 2010 9:49 am

You have to be in New Zealand for at least eight months every year for 5 years to start to qualify for citizenship.

turkeys Mar 22nd 2010 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8437874)
My understanding is BEVS is right, it is valid indefinitely to allow you to return to New Zealand.

But it is not irrevocable.

Obviously it is not the same as citizenship; in that you don't get a New Zealand passport. It seems there is some debate regarding the amount of time you spend out of the country possibly affecting any future application for citizenship if this were a consideration?

It would be, e.g. could we return easily in 2, 5, 10 years? I will report back if I get a sensible answer from Immigration!