British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Australian residence return visa ok for citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/australian-residence-return-visa-ok-citizenship-599885/)

raiz Mar 25th 2009 7:00 pm

Australian residence return visa ok for citizenship

Hi All hope someone can answer?

If we enter New Zealand with an Australian residence return visa
(which enable's us to live and work indefinatly in NZ), would this time enable us to becoming a citizen of New Zealand?

Regards:confused:

BEVS Mar 25th 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Australian residence return visa ok for citizenship

HHmm.

As you know because you are an Australian resident, this allows you to come to New Zealand to live and work.You would be granted a residents permit on arrival. I don't know if this is a permanent residents permit (PR) or not and if you would also be given an Indefinite Returning Residents visa (IRRV) alongside the permit.

If you are granted PR and following the rules re. RRV then after 5 years you would be eligible for the NZ grant of citizenship.

Perhaps ask NZ internal affairs directly about this.

Otherwise hopefully JAJ will see the post and be able to answer.

sparkie down under Mar 25th 2009 11:51 pm

My answer would be no - because you are not citizens of Aussie. But then again I do not work for the Government. Better ask them

ex_exile Mar 26th 2009 12:26 am

Originally Posted by raiz (Post 7418850)

(which enable's us to live and work indefinatly in NZ), would this time enable us to becoming a citizen of New Zealand?

Well, to start with does Australian PR grant you the right to live and work indefinitely in New Zealand? (or only while you have a valid RRV)

Once you have sorted that out as an Australian PR you are treated the same as a New Zealand PR (ie you do not have to make a formal application for NZ PR) so after you have spent the required amount of time in New Zealand you can apply for citizenship.

My only query would be what happens if your RRV expires and you cannot renew it because you have spent too much time outside of Australia

newkiwi Mar 26th 2009 4:15 am

Originally Posted by raiz (Post 7418850)

Technically, AFAIK, when you enter NZ with a valid Aus Returning Resident Visa, you are granted entry to NZ as a NZ permanent resident (note it does not work the other way around)

As far as I can see, if you stay in NZ for the 5 years required to gain citizenship, there is no reason why you cant qualify for citizenship. Youn will have spent your time in NZ as a NZ perm resident. The date you are first granted NZ perm residency is the date you arrive in NZ for the first time as a aussie RRV holder.

The complications may come in if you leave NZ even for a holiday, as you will need to make sure your Aussie returning resident visas are still valid, or alternatively have applied for and be granted NZ RRVs.

note that you can BE in new zealand without a valid returning resident visa, but you cannot ENTER new zealand without a valid returning resident visa

You will likely also at some point loose your Aussie residency.

how far off getting Aus citizenship are you?

raiz Mar 26th 2009 7:26 am

Originally Posted by newkiwi (Post 7420531)
Technically, AFAIK, when you enter NZ with a valid Aus Returning Resident Visa, you are granted entry to NZ as a NZ permanent resident (note it does not work the other way around)

As far as I can see, if you stay in NZ for the 5 years required to gain citizenship, there is no reason why you cant qualify for citizenship. Youn will have spent your time in NZ as a NZ perm resident. The date you are first granted NZ perm residency is the date you arrive in NZ for the first time as a aussie RRV holder.

The complications may come in if you leave NZ even for a holiday, as you will need to make sure your Aussie returning resident visas are still valid, or alternatively have applied for and be granted NZ RRVs.

note that you can BE in new zealand without a valid returning resident visa, but you cannot ENTER new zealand without a valid returning resident visa

You will likely also at some point loose your Aussie residency.

how far off getting Aus citizenship are you?

Thanks for the replys.
we can get a nz rrv after being on shore for 1 year.
And with regards to time in Aussie......none as we went and activated our visa but havn,t been on shore for over a year now. i see were your going with that question as Australian citizens have no restrictions i believe.

my situation is that we are living in UK with PR visa for Australia BUT wish to live indefinitely in NZ.

JAJ Mar 28th 2009 11:17 pm

See http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Austra...ts-New_Zealand

also http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...s_in_Australia

Your specific question needs to be confirmed by looking at http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

bear in mind that rules could change anytime.

raiz Mar 29th 2009 2:05 pm

Balls damn and blast!

Just read that this visa is a no go! we need to of spent at least 2 years onshore in Australia to be elligable.:curse:

So i guess its back to the drawing board.

Many thanks though.

JAJ Mar 29th 2009 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by raiz (Post 7431822)
Balls damn and blast!

Just read that this visa is a no go! we need to of spent at least 2 years onshore in Australia to be elligable.:curse:

So what kind of Australian visa do you have then?

raiz Mar 30th 2009 5:48 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7432811)
So what kind of Australian visa do you have then?

5 year bn 136 Skilled independent.

Activated january 07

JAJ Mar 31st 2009 12:54 am

Originally Posted by raiz (Post 7433754)
5 year bn 136 Skilled independent.

Activated january 07

So why do you think that is not acceptable to New Zealand?

(subject to the caution about needing to qualify for a New Zealand RRV if you cannot get an Australian RRV).

raiz Mar 31st 2009 5:57 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7436946)
So why do you think that is not acceptable to New Zealand?

(subject to the caution about needing to qualify for a New Zealand RRV if you cannot get an Australian RRV).

Forgive my ignorance but i think i'm getting in a right 2 & 8. :blink:

So this Australian RRV is not acually something i need to apply for?

Cause i've just checked my passport and the stamp they gave me when we visited NZ from Oz is a Residence permit 3816.
So am i right in thinking that my 5 year pr 136 is acually a Australian residence return visa, as in it entitles me to return as a resident.

Thanks