Australian PR | Prospects in NZ

Old May 13th 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough
Question Australian PR | Prospects in NZ?

I have been granted a Australian permanent visa recently, I still have not validated it (by entering Australia) yet. I have some questions:
  1. Can I land in NZ directly with this visa (without landing in Australia first) or do I need to land in Australia first and get a RRV?
  2. Do I get permanent residence status of NZ with this visa?
  3. Can I apply for NZ citizenship after staying in NZ for 5 years with this visa?

Last edited by the_gripmaster; May 13th 2009 at 4:46 pm.
Old May 14th 2009, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australian PR | Prospects in NZ?

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster
I have been granted a Australian permanent visa recently, I still have not validated it (by entering Australia) yet. I have some questions:
  1. Can I land in NZ directly with this visa (without landing in Australia first) or do I need to land in Australia first and get a RRV?
  3. Can I apply for NZ citizenship after staying in NZ for 5 years with this visa?
1) Dont know if you need to land in aus first to get your RRV, but many flights connect through aus first, so to save the hassle just book a flight that goes through aus, maybe stay one night and then its sorted.

2) Anyone arriving in NZ with a valid australian RRV gets NZ permanent residency when they enter. This does not work teh other way around, so once you aus RRV expires you will not be allowed to live or work in aus anymore, until you become a NZ citizen.

3) Yes, if you stay in NZ. Note though that if you leave NZ, even for a holiday, without a valid australian or NZ RRV, you wont be allowed back into NZ. So make sure you qualify for a NZ RRV after your aus one expires (after two years???) Note also that if you do it this way you will lose your Aus Residency.
Old May 14th 2009, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by newkiwi
...So make sure you qualify for a NZ RRV after your aus one expires (after two years???) ...
The Aus one expires in 5 yrs.
Old May 14th 2009, 10:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Austra...ts-New_Zealand

You do need to validate your visa by visiting Australia - otherwise the Australians will cancel it!
Old May 14th 2009, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Austra...ts-New_Zealand

You do need to validate your visa by visiting Australia - otherwise the Australians will cancel it!
Thank you.