Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Australian permanent resident ... are they able to work in NZ?

Australian permanent resident ... are they able to work in NZ?

Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:19 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland
Posts: 224
pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future
Default Australian permanent resident ... are they able to work in NZ?

Hi
I have australian permanent residence visa, myself, son and daughter.
We are still in UK, already validated visas.
My daughter is moving out to Oz in June and is keen to spend some time in NZ with her dad, who is a NZ citizen.
Can she work in NZ does anyone know?
She has already had a working holiday visa in the past so I don't think can get another one.
Thanks for any help
pata is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:45 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
newkiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 977
newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australian permanent resident ... are they able to work in NZ?

Originally Posted by pata View Post
Hi
I have australian permanent residence visa, myself, son and daughter.
We are still in UK, already validated visas.
My daughter is moving out to Oz in June and is keen to spend some time in NZ with her dad, who is a NZ citizen.
Can she work in NZ does anyone know?
She has already had a working holiday visa in the past so I don't think can get another one.
Thanks for any help
As far as I know, an Australian PR with a valid OZ RRV gets a NZ PR stamp at the airport, and is therefore admitted to NZ as a permanent resident. So in short, as far as im aware there is no problem with just entering NZ.

(Not the other way round, NZ PRs have no priviledges in OZ).

Be careful about your status when you leave NZ, if your OZ RRV is out of date you will need a NZ RRV to get back into NZ.

If her dad is a NZ citizen, does she not qualify as a NZ citizen too?
newkiwi is offline  
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:15 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland
Posts: 224
pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future
Default Re: Australian permanent resident ... are they able to work in NZ?

Originally Posted by newkiwi View Post
As far as I know, an Australian PR with a valid OZ RRV gets a NZ PR stamp at the airport, and is therefore admitted to NZ as a permanent resident. So in short, as far as im aware there is no problem with just entering NZ.

(Not the other way round, NZ PRs have no priviledges in OZ).

Be careful about your status when you leave NZ, if your OZ RRV is out of date you will need a NZ RRV to get back into NZ.

If her dad is a NZ citizen, does she not qualify as a NZ citizen too?

Thanks for reply.
The visa we have is valid till 2011 so a residents return visa wouldn't be required till then? Am I right?
Not sure about citizenship.
She is keen to spend a few months there but wants to work.
pata is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:24 am
  #4  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian permanent resident ... are they able to work in NZ?

Originally Posted by pata View Post
Thanks for reply.
The visa we have is valid till 2011 so a residents return visa wouldn't be required till then? Am I right?
Not sure about citizenship.
She is keen to spend a few months there but wants to work.
You need to answer a few more specific questions:

1. How old is daughter?

2. When was visa validated?

3. Is there still a plan to settle in Australia long term?
JAJ is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:47 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland
Posts: 224
pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future
Default Re: Australian permanent resident ... are they able to work in NZ?

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
You need to answer a few more specific questions:

1. How old is daughter?

2. When was visa validated?

3. Is there still a plan to settle in Australia long term?
Answers to above ...

1. She is 22.

2. Visa validated June 06.

3. Yes, still planning to settle in Australia ... she just wanted to spend some
time with her dad in NZ, as she will have just finished uni and rest of family
not moving out to Oz till a bit later in the year.

Thanks for reply.
pata is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:23 am
  #6  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian permanent resident ... are they able to work in NZ?

Originally Posted by pata View Post
Answers to above ...

1. She is 22.

2. Visa validated June 06.

3. Yes, still planning to settle in Australia ... she just wanted to spend some
time with her dad in NZ, as she will have just finished uni and rest of family
not moving out to Oz till a bit later in the year.

Thanks for reply.
Things to bear in mind include:

- if she stays too long in NZ (these things sometimes happen) and loses her Australian permanent resident status, she may not be able to get it back; and

- If she wants to come under the 2 year rule for Australian citizenship then she needs to clock up the 2 years and apply before 30 June 2010, otherwise it will be 4 years.

How and when did her father get NZ citizenship?
JAJ is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:46 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland
Posts: 224
pata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant futurepata has a brilliant future
Default Re: Australian permanent resident ... are they able to work in NZ?

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Things to bear in mind include:

- if she stays too long in NZ (these things sometimes happen) and loses her Australian permanent resident status, she may not be able to get it back; and

- If she wants to come under the 2 year rule for Australian citizenship then she needs to clock up the 2 years and apply before 30 June 2010, otherwise it will be 4 years.

How and when did her father get NZ citizenship?
Thanks for reply.
He emigrated from the UK 12 years ago.
Not entirely sure how long he has had citizenship but it has been quite a while I think.
pata is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2008, 4:26 pm
  #8  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian permanent resident ... are they able to work in NZ?

Originally Posted by pata View Post
Thanks for reply.
He emigrated from the UK 12 years ago.
Not entirely sure how long he has had citizenship but it has been quite a while I think.
In that case your daughter isn't a New Zealand citizen so she needs to be extra careful not to put her Australian status in jeopardy by spending too much time in NZ.
JAJ is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:10 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
newkiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 977
newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australian permanent resident ... are they able to work in NZ?

Originally Posted by pata View Post
Thanks for reply.
The visa we have is valid till 2011 so a residents return visa wouldn't be required till then? Am I right?
Not sure about citizenship.
She is keen to spend a few months there but wants to work.
sounds like it should be fine without too many complications as long as few months does not stretch into years beyond 2011.

she will need to be in aus before the visa runs out.

after 2011, be very careful not to leave aus (even for a holiday) without ensuring you get another valid RRV in place before you leave.
newkiwi is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:35 am
  #10  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian permanent resident ... are they able to work in NZ?

Originally Posted by newkiwi View Post
sounds like it should be fine without too many complications as long as few months does not stretch into years beyond 2011.
If she leaves it that long there will be at least one complication - a 4 year wait for citizenship in Australia, not 2.
JAJ is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.