Australia PR wants to Visit New Zealand

Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:06 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
Storm Petrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Australia PR wants to Visit New Zealand

I just joined this great forum. I really should have found here sooner!

I am a Permanent Resident of Australia, recently got an interview from a NZ company and decide to have a visit to New Zealand to attend the interview and also to get to know NZ better. I have heard that Australia PR visa holders are granted New Zealand Resident Visa upon arrival in New Zealand.

Two questions in this regard:

1- Considering it is only a visit, will I still be granted a resident visa? Or will they issue me a visitor visa instead of a resident one as my goal is to visit New Zealand at this stage (I mean, I may or may not get the job)? I'd like to have the residency of New Zealand as it boosts my CV when I apply for jobs in NZ.

2- If I want to get a NZ Resident visa, what pre-arrangements do I need to do before travelling to New Zealand? For example, should I:

a) fill an application and attend an interview with New Zealand embassy in Australia before I actually travel to NZ?

b) obtain Health Clearance/Police Clearance to show at Auckland airport?


Thank you in anticipation.

Last edited by Storm Petrel; Jan 1st 2011 at 11:46 pm.
Storm Petrel is offline  
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:56 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
rushmere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland
Posts: 290
rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all
Default Re: Australia PR wants to Visit New Zealand

Originally Posted by Storm Petrel View Post
I just joined this great forum. I really should have found here sooner!

I am a Permanent Resident of Australia, recently got an interview from a NZ company and decide to have a visit to New Zealand to attend the interview and also to get to know NZ better. I have heard that Australia PR visa holders are granted New Zealand Resident Visa upon arrival in New Zealand.

Two questions in this regard:

1- Considering it is only a visit, will I still be granted a resident visa? Or will they issue me a visitor visa instead of a resident one as my goal is to visit New Zealand at this stage (I mean, I may or may not get the job)? I'd like to have the residency of New Zealand as it boosts my CV when I apply for jobs in NZ.

2- If I want to get a NZ Resident visa, what pre-arrangements do I need to do before travelling to New Zealand? For example, should I:

a) fill an application and attend an interview with New Zealand embassy in Australia before I actually travel to NZ?

b) obtain Health Clearance/Police Clearance to show at Auckland airport?


Thank you in anticipation.
We're currently living in NZ using Oz PR. On entry to NZ your passport is stamped with a permanent visa for NZ (providing your Oz PR is still valid), but it is only valid until you next leave the country. This happens even if you only intend to visit for a short time period - we got exactly the same permanent visa for a previous short holiday in NZ.

Do bear in mind that time spent in NZ does not count for any Oz entitlement, e.g. Time counted to become a citizen, so you may eventually lose your Oz PR status if you stay out of the country for an extended period.

Last edited by rushmere; Jan 2nd 2011 at 12:00 am.
rushmere is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:35 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
Storm Petrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia PR wants to Visit New Zealand

Originally Posted by rushmere View Post
... but it is only valid until you next leave the country. This happens even if you only intend to visit for a short time period - we got exactly the same permanent visa for a previous short holiday in NZ.
Thank you for the reply.

Did they give you an option to choose or did they just tell you that your only choice is to have a visa that is only valid until you next leave the country?

It is a little bit strange, take a look at this link from NZ Immigration:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30498.htm

RV3.20 Special provisions

RV3.20.1 Australian citizens and residents

Persons who hold a resident visa (or are deemed to hold a resident visa) because they are holders of current Australian permanent residence visas, current Australian resident return visas or Australian citizenship may be granted a variation of travel conditions for 24 months from the date their current resident visa was granted.

There is obviously a discrepancy between your experience and the sentences in this link...
Storm Petrel is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 1:31 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
Storm Petrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia PR wants to Visit New Zealand

Thanks for your reply.

I sent you a reply but apparently the moderators should first check it as it had a link in it.

In the meantime, I have another question for you.

From 29 Nov 2010, the visa issuing system of NZ has changed. Residence permits are not been issued since 29 Nov 2010 for AUS PR's anymore, instead they issue resident visas for them.

I see from your profile that you have arrived in NZ on 30 Nov, so you must have been issued with a resident VISA at that time. But in your previous short holiday in NZ you must have been issued a resident PERMIT as your holiday trip has obvioulsy been before 29 Nov 2010.

You told me the visas you got were exactly the same so I am a little bit confued; as I guess resident visas and resident permits should differ, though it is only a guess...

Could you please shed a light on this buddy? I am asking this as it may be the reason your visa for your last trip to NZ expired when you left NZ.

Last edited by Storm Petrel; Jan 2nd 2011 at 1:44 am.
Storm Petrel is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 1:52 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
rushmere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland
Posts: 290
rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all
Default Re: Australia PR wants to Visit New Zealand

Originally Posted by Storm Petrel View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I sent you a reply but apparently the moderators should first check it as it had a link in it.

In the meantime, I have another question for you.

From 29 Nov 2010, the visa issuing system of NZ has changed. Residence permits are not been issued since 29 Nov 2010 for AUS PR's anymore, instead they issue resident visas for them.

I see from your profile that you have arrived in NZ on 30 Nov, so you must have been issued with a resident VISA at that time. But in your previous short holiday in NZ you must have been issued a resident PERMIT as your holiday trip has obvioulsy been before 29 Nov 2010.

You told me the visas you got were exactly the same so I am a little bit confued. Because I guess resident visas and resident permits should differ, though it is only a guess...

Could you please shed a light on this buddy? I am asking this as it may be the reason your visa for your last trip to NZ expired when you left NZ.
You're right, it did change on 30th November, but it seems to be just different terminology for the same thing. The passport stamp issued on 30th November does say "Resident Visa" whereas the earlier one says "Residence Permit". The expiry has nothing to do with the change - both of them say "Holder may remain indefinitely" and "This permit/visa expires when the holder leaves New Zealand". Although these visas are permanent, they only remain valid while you are in the country. They expire when you leave, and a new one is issued when you next arrive, so long as you are still eligible, i.e. your Oz PR is still valid. Once your Oz PR expires, you would not be allowed back into NZ unless you have subsequently gained a suitable alternative NZ visa or NZ citizenship. You just have to be very careful that you retain residency (or gain citizenship) for whichever country you want to reside in longer term!
rushmere is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 2:06 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
Storm Petrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia PR wants to Visit New Zealand

Originally Posted by rushmere View Post
You're right, it did change on 30th November, but it seems to be just different terminology for the same thing. The passport stamp issued on 30th November does say "Resident Visa" whereas the earlier one says "Residence Permit". The expiry has nothing to do with the change - both of them say "Holder may remain indefinitely" and "This permit/visa expires when the holder leaves New Zealand". Although these visas are permanent, they only remain valid while you are in the country. They expire when you leave, and a new one is issued when you next arrive, so long as you are still eligible, i.e. your Oz PR is still valid. Once your Oz PR expires, you would not be allowed back into NZ unless you have subsequently gained a suitable alternative NZ visa or NZ citizenship. You just have to be very careful that you retain residency (or gain citizenship) for whichever country you want to reside in longer term!
Thank buddy for your prompt reply once again.

Two issues:

1- There is a section in NZ Immigration site which explains:

RV3.20 Special provisions

RV3.20.1 Australian citizens and residents
Persons who hold a resident visa (or are deemed to hold a resident visa) because they are holders of current Australian permanent residence visas, current Australian resident return visas or Australian citizenship may be granted a variation of travel conditions for 24 months from the date their current resident visa was granted.


So the sentence of "This permit/visa expires when the holder leaves New Zealand" on your visa is a little bit odd to me. Based on the mentioned clause, shouldn't they have given you 24 months variation of travel conditions? i.e. you can leave and enter NZ until 24 months without a need for applying another visa...


2- I landed in Australia 4.5 years ago to activate my AUS PR visa (skilled migrant scheme), and I returned to my home country soon after that. I came back to Australia 3 weeks ago - this time to stay - and obviously started looking for jobs which resulted in the job interview in NZ that I mentioned.

I don’t mind losing my PR status in Australia if I am sure that my NZ PR status will remain intact after losing Aus PR. To me, Aus and NZ both are nice and lovely countries. The question is will the validity of my NZ resident visa have anything to do with the validity of my AUS PR visa whatsoever AFTER the NZ resident visa is actually issued?

Last edited by Storm Petrel; Jan 2nd 2011 at 2:10 am.
Storm Petrel is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 2:54 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
rushmere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland
Posts: 290
rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all
Default Re: Australia PR wants to Visit New Zealand

Originally Posted by Storm Petrel View Post
Thank buddy for your prompt reply once again.

Two issues:

1- There is a section in NZ Immigration site which explains:

[I]RV3.20 Special provisions

RV3.20.1 Australian citizens and residents
Persons who hold a resident visa (or are deemed to hold a resident visa) because they are holders of current Australian permanent residence visas, current Australian resident return visas or Australian citizenship may be granted a variation of travel conditions for 24 months from the date their current resident visa was granted.

So the sentence of "This permit/visa expires when the holder leaves New Zealand" on your visa is a little bit odd to me. Based on the mentioned clause, shouldn't they have given you 24 months variation of travel conditions? i.e. you can leave and enter NZ until 24 months without a need for applying another visa...


2- I landed in Australia 4.5 years ago to activate my AUS PR visa (skilled migrant scheme), and I returned to my home country soon after that. I came back to Australia 3 weeks ago - this time to stay - and obviously started looking for jobs which resulted in the job interview in NZ that I mentioned.

I don’t mind losing my PR status in Australia if I am sure that my NZ PR status will remain intact after losing Aus PR. To me, Aus and NZ both are nice and lovely countries. The question is will the validity of my NZ resident visa have anything to do with the validity of my AUS PR visa whatsoever AFTER the NZ resident visa is actually issued?
It may sound odd to you, but I can only tell you what it actually says on the visa, and the wording that I posted above is exactly what gets stamped in your passport on arrival!

I'm no expert, but your quote from the website says someone with Oz PR "may be granted a variation of travel conditions for 24 months from the date their current resident visa was granted". My understanding is that you have to apply for this separately rather than be given it automatically along with the visa, which would be consistent with the quote saying you may be granted the variation.

You may want to speak directly to NZ immigration to confirm your situation. I certainly found them very friendly and helpful.
rushmere is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:16 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
Storm Petrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia PR wants to Visit New Zealand

Originally Posted by rushmere View Post
It may sound odd to you, but I can only tell you what it actually says on the visa, and the wording that I posted above is exactly what gets stamped in your passport on arrival!
Mate, don't get me wrong. I am sure the wording that you posted is exactly what is there on your visa. What was odd to me was the question that "Under what circumstances people get 24 months variation of travel then?"

Thank you for your input.
Storm Petrel is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:33 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
Storm Petrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia PR wants to Visit New Zealand

Originally Posted by Storm Petrel View Post

I am a Permanent Resident of Australia

.....

2- If I want to get a NZ Resident visa, what pre-arrangements do I need to do before travelling to New Zealand? For example, should I:

**a) fill an application and attend an interview with New Zealand embassy in Australia before I actually travel to NZ?

**b) obtain Health Clearance/Police Clearance to show at Auckland airport?


Thank you in anticipation.
Any ideas fellas?
Storm Petrel is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:36 am
  #10  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia PR wants to Visit New Zealand

Originally Posted by Storm Petrel View Post
Any ideas fellas?
You are not going to find expert advice on a free forum.

Time to find a lawyer?


And before that, are you happy to abandon your Australian PR - which will usually happen in due course, if you stay in NZ.
JAJ is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:21 am
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 28
Storm Petrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia PR wants to Visit New Zealand

Maybe you are right buddy, I should contact an migration advisor. Like I said, to me both countries are amongst the best countries in the world.

But what about my second question? For travelling to NZ, do I - as an Australian PR- need to

****a) fill an application and attend an interview with New Zealand embassy in Australia before I actually travel to NZ?

****b) obtain Health Clearance/Police Clearance to present at Auckland airport?

Thanks

Last edited by Storm Petrel; Jan 5th 2011 at 3:36 am.
Storm Petrel is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.