Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Aussie married to UK husband wanting to live in NZ

Aussie married to UK husband wanting to live in NZ

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:34 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aussie married to UK husband wanting to live in NZ

I have been asked what the visa situation would be in this scenario:
What do you think?

Husband has a UK passport, wife has an Australian one. They live in the UK but are considering a move to NZ in the next couple of years. They are not thinking of living in Australia.

She can live and work in NZ but he can't. I have looked on the NZIS website and it appears that she would have to become resident in NZ and be able to prove that that was her primary place of residence. He would then apply as a partner of an NZ resident. Am I right? Is there a minimum time that she would have to be resident? I can't seem to find one.

Obviously another option would be that he applies for a visa in his own right, not sure how feasible that is though I can deal with that side of things if they ask for advice about it

Anyone have any experience or knowledge about this situation? BEVS maybe??
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 9:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Aussie married to UK husband wanting to live in NZ

Originally Posted by Persephone

Husband has a UK passport, wife has an Australian one. They live in the UK but are considering a move to NZ in the next couple of years. They are not thinking of living in Australia.

She can live and work in NZ but he can't. I have looked on the NZIS website and it appears that she would have to become resident in NZ and be able to prove that that was her primary place of residence. He would then apply as a partner of an NZ resident. Am I right?
That seems right to me from what I can see.

Is there a minimum time that she would have to be resident? I can't seem to find one.
Doesn't seem to be stated in that part of NZIS website or the manual. I would think there would be a 'definition' hiding somewhere.

Although this is about NZ investment, it may be a pointer . From HERE

Criteria for "ordinarily resident""Ordinarily resident" is a conjunctive test - you must hold a residence class visa granted under the Immigration Act 2009 and either be domiciled or residing in New Zealand with the intention of residing here indefinitely, having done so for the immediately preceding 12 months.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine got PR this way. He came over with his Aussie partner who ticked the box to say that he was intending to stay here for more than two years, and my friend came with him on a return flight and a visitor visa (UK passport). He then applied for a partnership visa, got a temp work visa, and his PR not long after. I'll check with him tomorrow.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:18 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BEVS and janiejones

I wanted confirmation before I said anything. Janiejones, it sounds like your friend didn't have to have any prior time in NZ as resident so that's interesting. If you could let me know what they did, that would be great. Thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 9:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Brilliant post JanieJones. Sounds just what Persephone needs.
Have some karma.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for the delay, my friend was away, I only caught up with him today.

It's as I said above. He'd never been here, his partner on short holidays, but not as a resident.
My friend's partner worked for a multinational, so he transferred his posting here, and my friend came in as a visitor. He applied for a partnership visa soon after, but did get a work visa in the meantime.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 3:53 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Thanks Janiejones

Very much appreciated, I'll pass that on.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Pentium is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in a similar situation. I've found this page, so I'll add it in for future reference: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../0/INZ1199.pdf