Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

ATTN _ NZ Govt link on scam calls from immigration

ATTN _ NZ Govt link on scam calls from immigration

Old Nov 8th 2013, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow ATTN _ NZ Govt link on scam calls from immigration

A link to the NZ Government's site on scam phone calls pretending to be from immigration.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...aimfromINZ.htm
Old Nov 10th 2013, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

lorie is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't hear about such a scam before. Can you tell which phone numbers the scammers used?

Is this scam new? I don't remember reading about it at Callercenter. But thanks for sharing! If I get a call like that, I'd recognize the bluff right away.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 11th 2013 at 7:13 pm. Reason: merge
Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: NZ Govt link on scam calls from immigration

Thanks for that Britsinnz

I'm moving this to the Immigration forum and will make it a sticky for a while.

The article on NZIS
Scam phone calls claiming to be from Immigration New Zealand

Wednesday, 30 October 2013
We have become aware that some people in New Zealand have been phoned from callers who fraudulently claim to be calling from Immigration New Zealand.

These callers tell the person that there has been a problem with their visa or arrival card information and demand that they pay money into a Western Union account or face serious consequences, such as deportation. These calls are not from Immigration New Zealand.

These calls seem to be targeting people from India. Often the caller has some details of the person they are speaking to, such as the name, date of birth and/or address. They may also quote reference numbers, although these do not appear to match Immigration New Zealand client or application numbers.

If you receive one of these calls, do not pay the money the caller has demanded. We advise you to contact the New Zealand Police to report the call.