British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   arriving may (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/arriving-may-529847/)

nickandlyn Apr 16th 2008 9:37 pm

arriving may

29th for 5 weeks looking around, and looking for work. But can anyone give me a hint as to what would happen if we came over, got jobs and applied for our residency, without it being on the long/short term skills list? the OH has a qualification that is the equiv of a level 3, and they want a level 4 on the list. We are not teenagers, and dont want to study again, but are really keen to emigrate, Im just afraid we will not get our residency. Can anyone give us a clue, its really stressing me out.. :unsure:....... cheers people

P2L Apr 16th 2008 10:26 pm

Re: arriving may

Originally Posted by nickandlyn (Post 6219952)
29th for 5 weeks looking around, and looking for work. But can anyone give me a hint as to what would happen if we came over, got jobs and applied for our residency, without it being on the long/short term skills list? the OH has a qualification that is the equiv of a level 3, and they want a level 4 on the list. We are not teenagers, and dont want to study again, but are really keen to emigrate, Im just afraid we will not get our residency. Can anyone give us a clue, its really stressing me out.. :unsure:....... cheers people

What does your OH do for a living?? :unsure:

nickandlyn Apr 16th 2008 10:41 pm

Re: arriving may

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 6220120)
What does your OH do for a living?? :unsure:

He has his own business here as a domestic appliance engineer , he is allowed to do plumbing and electrical installations here as it was part of the training,but we dont think he will be allowed to there as technically he isnt a plumber or an electrician?

BEVS Apr 16th 2008 11:29 pm

Re: arriving May

Hi guys.

Please don't stress. Just think of the trip as giving it your best shot & make sure you have a great time along the way.

I have looked up your other posts. Correct me if I am wrong. Let's get all the pieces on this thread for everyone to see .

First - if you come to NZ and find work , then you can apply for a temporary work permit which will allow you to stay and work here for the length of time of that permit. You could renew the work permit at its expiry date. So in theory , you or your other half could find a job and then apply for a 3 year work permit to give you a good amount of breathing space.

You are a fully qualified hairdresser & beauty therapist by trade . This is seen a skilled by NZIS. As you know it is not on the shortages lists. Any NZ employer wanting to employ you must prove to NZIS that there is no NZ resident for the position. They would show the adverts they have placed ; their training schemes etc. If NZIS agreed that there was no-one to fill that position , then they would allow you to take the job . You would apply for a temporary work permit & then go on to make a PR application . Yes, I know that hairdressing is not on the shortages list but if the employer has proven to NZIS that he has a shortage and you fill that gap , then the PR application is in with a good chance. As you can do more than hairdressing, your ideal job offer would be one where the NZ employer uses all your skills. Perhaps one where you can help teach trainees or where you are the only one that can do a certain skill or as management/supervisor..... get my drift?

Your husband should look for roofing work in my opinion. This is the one area where he has a trade skill. 15 years time served on the job & a qualification to go with it. NZIS policy re. qualifications and work experience changed last February 08. They now take into consideration work experience as well as qualifications. Did you do a full assessment through NZQA?
Roofing is seen as skilled . It is on the list of acceptable trades & appears on the immediate shortage list. An NZ employer can offer him roofing work and does not have to prove that there is a Kiwi that could take the job. He could find a job & then apply for a work permit.

Once you are both in skilled jobs, try an application for PR. Or wait a couple of years to add points for NZ experience and then try for PR.

Make sure your job offers are full time and permanent. The rate of pay must match the going rates.

He has his own business here as a domestic appliance engineer , he is allowed to do plumbing and electrical installations here as it was part of the training,but we dont think he will be allowed to there as technically he isnt a plumber or an electrician?
Nope. He isn't a plumber or a sparky. He could find a job installing domestic appliances but it wouldn't be seen as skilled. NZ doesn't need people to do that. They have plenty of unskilled kiwis to do that work.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck