British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Arrival date for Wellington and vital equipment question! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/arrival-date-wellington-vital-equipment-question-492123/)

turkeys Nov 6th 2007 8:13 pm

Arrival date for Wellington and vital equipment question!

Hello all

I posted a while back after being offered a job in Wellington. Me and the family all have a 1 year visa now and will arrive in NZ on 25th January 08 :thumbsup:

Start work on 11th Feb, after having a tour of the north Island in a camper van :rofl:

A question some of you who are there may be able to answer..... we are looking to ship just two -three cartons of essential stuff and would welcome any advice as to what you would recommend bringing rather than buying there. I understand that many items are expensive in NZ but not sure what exactly. Although I have also heard that Ikea is opening in 2008!! Stuff we intend to pack so far - in no particular order and some of these things are of course personal items that we couldn't buy there

Kid's toys
Kid's duvet covers
Kitchen knife set
Selected kitchen implements - which ones??
Sleeping bags
External hard drive full of mp3s!
Favourite DVDs
Winter clothes
Work suits - not sure about that one though
Set of towels
Family pictures
PC equipment - webcam, digital camera - any advice on getting laptops in NZ?
Running stuff?

Does that list look reasonable or are there things that would be more economical to buy there?

Which one thing do you wish you'd brought with you in a box :confused: Sensible answers only please :D... go on then, silly answers too if you like!

A further question for those who are only there short term in the first instance and on a limited budget Where did you go to kit out your house with furniture and so on?

Any advice as always, very much appreciated

Andy

happynz Nov 6th 2007 8:42 pm

Re: Arrival date for Wellington and vital equipment question!

Yeah, definitely bring running gear. Sport shoes here are stupidly expensive.

turkeys Nov 6th 2007 8:45 pm

Thanks HappyNZ

might have to hae a trip to Aldi or Lidl before I go :)
Any other suggestions?

Andy

happynz Nov 6th 2007 9:05 pm

Bed sheets would be nice. Check for sizes though as what is considered a Queen size here may be different to where you are.
Oh yeah, underpants! If you are over the age of twelve I imagine you'd want something that doesn't have screen prints of Bart Simpson or Batman on your skivvies. The selection of underpants here is atrocious.

P2L Nov 6th 2007 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5520230)
Yeah, definitely bring running gear. Sport shoes here are stupidly expensive.

Or buy some when you stopover in Asia :sneaky:;)

turkeys Nov 7th 2007 5:36 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5520393)
Bed sheets would be nice. Check for sizes though as what is considered a Queen size here may be different to where you are.
Oh yeah, underpants! If you are over the age of twelve I imagine you'd want something that doesn't have screen prints of Bart Simpson or Batman on your skivvies. The selection of underpants here is atrocious.

Thanks for the tip ....... i think I'll go for Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles :D

CCGM.IN.NZ Nov 9th 2007 8:12 am

Hi Andy. We kitted out the living room and bedrooms at Harvey Norman. We had a couple of days in a motel when we arrived here, had the rental sorted but needed beds and setee quick smart. Got huge setee, three beds plus mattreses all sorted and delivered within a couple of days. Not sure if this was the cheapest but it was essential we had the furniture before we moved in. Also have TV, DVD recorder and fridge freezer on rental from DTR, also sorted within a couple of days. Kitchen utensils/ small appliances pretty cheap in The Warehouse. Seems a bit of a nightmare starting from scratch but you'll get there! Hope this is useful.Good luck and enjoy the North Island trip :). Carol