British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   AQF Level III certificate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/aqf-level-iii-certificate-809927/)

Lizaberry Sep 21st 2013 11:48 am

AQF Level III certificate

Hi. We had a hashed up Australian Visa application last October with the agent fully to blame (long/messy story - still painful to think about), and consequently we didn't get there. As part of the migration process, my OH had a Vetassess skills assessment done for RPL purposes and came out with an AQF III in Carpentry. Does anyone know if these hold any water for use with the NZ migration process or is it just a useless piece of paper to us now? Thanks

escapedtonz Sep 22nd 2013 10:53 am

Re: AQF Level III certificate

I would say its completely useless to you now if you're considering NZ.

If you need qualifications etc assessed here its via NZQA and the registration body for a particular trade if there is one for that trade in NZ.

Regards,

Lizaberry Sep 22nd 2013 11:07 am

Thanks, it's what we thought then. OH has no other qualification to be assessed beyond the now useless AQF. He did an in-house apprenticeship between 79/83 but it was never formalised by college attendance. That's just the way it was back then for him. He's brilliant at what he does and the lack of formal trade quals has never held him back. He's qualified through his apprenticeship/30 experience in the trade. Just hoped there was a glimmer that the AQF might have meant something. Thanks all the same. It's a shame NZ don't do skills assessments for RPL purposes like Oz do!

MrsFychan Sep 22nd 2013 8:35 pm

I know you say that the Immigration Agent was to blame for you guys not getting approval for Australia is this something that could be rectified if you tried to do the application yourself?

Lizaberry Sep 22nd 2013 9:21 pm

Alas not. They jumped the gun in the submission of our visa application and failed to check the employer had submitted the all important employer nomination. By the time this was brought to DIAC's attention my OH had turned 50 and was no longer eligible for the visa class! I don't wish to dwell on this given the way it turned out for us. You'd think that something tlike that should've be an agents bread and butter - you question their competence in such a situation!!! So much for being "professionals". Anyhow, enough on that. It was just the AQF I wanted clarity on and I think that's been answered now. Thanks all the same - I wish we had done it ourselves!!

MrsFychan Sep 23rd 2013 2:15 am

sorry to hear that. good luck with what ever you decide to do

KEvans68 Oct 23rd 2013 11:41 am

Hi

my husband did exactly the same 3 years ago and gained his AQF III certificate. His trade was removed from the list just after gaining it so like you we figured we had wasted all that money for nothing (4K!!).

We recently went to an NZ expo in Manchester and were told that the AQF III is recognised in New Zealand so don't give up, we haven't.

Good luck xx

Lizaberry Oct 23rd 2013 12:46 pm

That sounds encouraging. It's really for migration purposes that we were particularly interested for essential points on the EOI. Which organisation told you this - will certainly follow up. Stupid thing is that it is national recognised for employment purposes in Australia - seems odd for it not to be transferable in other ways!! All the best, L

KEvans68 Oct 23rd 2013 1:51 pm

Hi

it was a company called 'Working In'. We went to the expo as they had someone there who was actively recruiting for my husbands trade of glazier and that was when we were told the qualification is recognised over there.

Check out their website www.workingin.com

Best of luck xx