Applying for Visa EOI stage

Old Jul 16th 2013, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

rjgallac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Visa EOI stage

Hi all new here.

My wife, daughter and I are thinking about emigrating to NZ.

We've already filled out the EOI form on https://www.immigration.govt.nz/regi...n/default.aspx .

My wife has family there and I'm a web developer. I made the EOI out in my name and we got 140 points. Not had a result back yet.

I've just read a thread about it not costing that much to emigrate however so far the EOI form has cost around $500 and I think when we get through to the next stage it'll be about $1000 per adult and $500 per child. Does this sound right? The thread I just read said something about it costing a lot if you use an agent? Is the immigration.govt.nz the offical route for me to go through?

thanks for you time
Rob
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:16 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Visa EOI stage

Hello and welcome to BE!

Have you submitted your EOI then? If you have 140 points then that means automatic selection - your EOI will move onto the next stage. EOIs are only drawn out every fortnight, the next draw is the 24th July.
At that point you will probably not hear anything back but your online status should change from submitted to selected.
NZIS will assess your points, ascertain whether everything looks above board and if happy will issue you an ITA [invitation to apply]. You then have 4 months to return this along with all the supporting documentation requested by NZIS. NZIS then make a decision on whether to grant residency.

The next stage ie the ITA will cost you 1,200 GBP if you are applying from the UK. The whole family applies on the same EOI/ITA so there is no extra cost for any children. You will have to pay out for medicals which can get pricy!
When you apply to get the visas placed in your passports you also have to pay the migrant levy which is 155 GBP per person and 80GBP for any children under 5. You only have to pay for up to 4 people so if more than 4 are on the application you only pay for 4.

Agents are very expensive especially when the process is not that difficult to do yourself, NZIS do not give priority to those submitted by agents. I've seen quotes of 2-3,000 GBP on here just for the agent, the visa and medicals costs are in addition to that

You are using the correct website.

Hope that helps
P

Last edited by Persephone; Jul 16th 2013 at 7:19 pm. Reason: forgot the migrant levy
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

wow, thank you very much for the reply. I feel much happier now and you have reassured me that I'm on the right track. Fingers crossed . I've checked the site and its looks like I made just in time for the last selection.I'll be checking every 10 mins now to see if we were selected.

I appreciate the detailed breakdown in costs as well. Its better than I thought. The form was pretty easy to fill in and not sure what an agent would add to the process but I'm glad its in now.

Again thanks for your reply. your a star

Rob
Old Jul 16th 2013, 9:11 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

HI Rob, once they have looked through your EOI and moved you onto the next stage, ITA you then have to provide all the paperwork, medicals, police certs, proof of relationship etc to prove what you had put in the EOI. This is the stressful time, have you put the right stuff in? is the relationship documents enough (marriage certificates won't be enough), are my References good enough etc.

lots of threads on here about that sort of thing but if in doubt give out a shout.

Where are you looking to come to?
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Applying for Visa EOI stage

Originally Posted by rjgallac
Hi all new here.

My wife, daughter and I are thinking about emigrating to NZ.

We've already filled out the EOI form on https://www.immigration.govt.nz/regi...n/default.aspx .

My wife has family there and I'm a web developer. I made the EOI out in my name and we got 140 points. Not had a result back yet.

I've just read a thread about it not costing that much to emigrate however so far the EOI form has cost around $500 and I think when we get through to the next stage it'll be about $1000 per adult and $500 per child. Does this sound right? The thread I just read said something about it costing a lot if you use an agent? Is the immigration.govt.nz the offical route for me to go through?

thanks for you time
Rob
Rob I seriously advise you to do it yourself, an agent is a rip off. We started applying for aus a few years back and got half way through before my job was taken off the skills list. We paid lots of agent fees for something we could have done ourselves.

We now live in NZ and did the whole process ourselves, it's not that hard.

A for costs, I can tell you exactly: we moved a few months ago. Take a look at the blog (link in footer of my post) it tells you all the things we needed and what each costed us.

Hope that helps
Old Jul 17th 2013, 3:41 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

If you were selected at the last draw then I'm surprised if it hasn't shown on your online login yet. Mine was there 12 hours after the draw-could have been earlier but that was the first time I looked
You should have been selected with 140pts.

As you've done the EOI already then you've done most of the actual paperwork. The rest is collecting together documents, which you can start doing now. I'd not do the medicals until you have the ITA, especially if you don't have a job offer. You only have three months from the date of the medical to send them to NZIS. Any delays could push you perilously close to having to do them again
You're right, an agent often isn't worth the cost; they can't do the medicals for you and you still have to provide the documents. As you've found out it's not that difficult to do it yourself!!
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:46 am
Just Joined

thank you very much for your blog. I'll have a good read of it tonight.

With regards to timings, is there an expiry date on the EOI?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:54 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yes, it can only be in the pool for 6 mths
Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

It's on the tab 'application timeline' (the costs)
Old Jul 18th 2013, 7:50 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Once selected there is no expiry date, NZIS will take however much time it takes to make a decision which is why I suggested not doing medicals until you progress further.
If not selected, it remains in the pool for six months and at that point is withdrawn. You'd have to make another application and pay again. That's why it's not worth submitting an EOI if there's no real chance of it being selected.