Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Temp Visa & EOI at same time

Applying for Temp Visa & EOI at same time

Old Mar 2nd 2012, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

taless is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Temp Visa & EOI at same time

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Have been reading it, it really contains a wealth of information!

I am a junior doctor who has got an offer from Auckland to start in August. Plan is to move there long term to join my girlfriend who moved there a few years ago!

However, as I need to deal with my medical registration (I need to have about 10 months of work experience in the UK first before being fully registered with UK's General Medical Council - and then only can I apply for Medical Council NZ registration), I can realistically only start applying for visas (either Work Visa or Residency) in late June/July.

As medical training in most places are catered for citizens/residents (and work permit holders are only considered later), I do intend to get my Residency ASAP. I will have 150 points if I do submit an EOI. But the problem is by late June, I may not have enough time for a decision to be made with regards to Residency, hence I have a plan of applying for temporary work visa & EOI at same time.

My plan is to start applying for an EOI in mid to late May, hopefully get an ITA in June, start getting all my required documents (police certificate, medical checks as well as Medical Council NZ registration), then apply for Residency in July/August. (I will also apply for Temp Work Visa in late June/early July).

1. Will my plan above work?

2. If it does work, I have a few questions:
a. Regarding the ITA - if the ITA is issued by London, must I reply to the ITA in London? Or can I have the ITA transferred to Auckland, so I can apply there if required (i.e. enter Auckland with work visa, then only respond to ITA in Auckland)?

b. If I must apply in London, that should not be a problem - but what if I have to leave for Auckland before a decision has been made? I should have a Temp Work Visa so should not have problem entering Auckland - but will London mail my permit to Auckland?

3. If I can do an EOI in London but reply to the ITA from Auckland, does it impact on the medical check & police check? Am I right the medical check will be okay so long it is within 3 months? Do I need to do a police check as well as NZ's if I do apply from Auckland?

Sorry for so many questions on my first post. Thanks in advance & happy weekend everyone!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 10:08 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Temp Visa & EOI at same time

Hi Taless
Your plan with the EOI and the work visa sounds ok. Obviously your timing is affected because of the need for registration so a work visa to get you started quickly would probably be a good idea and may well be necessary.

When I applied I was faced with potentially moving over to NZ before the visas were issued and was told that there was no problem with getting the stickers in my passport in NZ even though my application was in London. As for sending back the ITA to a different office then I would check with NZIS about this. Are you near London as you could just go into NZ house and ask directly [saves on the exorbitant cost of the phone calls]

Do your medicals as late as possible as they only last for 3 months. You only need a police check from your country of citizenship and any country you have been in for 12m or more in the last 10 years, whether in one or more visits. So if you have only just moved to NZ then you shouldn't need a NZ police check.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 3:28 am
Just Joined

taless is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for Temp Visa & EOI at same time

Thanks Persephone! ")