British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Applying for Partnership/Defacto visa in oz/nz (moved from Aus forum) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/applying-partnership-defacto-visa-oz-nz-moved-aus-forum-630276/)

estrella30 Sep 11th 2009 6:19 pm

Applying for Partnership/Defacto visa in oz/nz (moved from Aus forum)

Hi,

I have been with my kiwi boyfriend for 9 months but we haven't lived together (we spent 6 months together in NZ and for the last 3 he has been working in Germany and me in the UK). We now want to be together either in NZ or OZ and have started looking into the requirements for partnership/defacto visas in these countries.

I have already had working holiday visas for nz and aus so thats not an option. Obviously before we can apply for the partnership visas we need to live together for at least 12 months. Although i believe that its easier in NZ, you can apply for a partnership after 6 months of living together...

so the plan is for us to head over to nz (with me on a 6 month tourist visa) - share a house together, set up a joint bank account etc and before my 6 month visa runs out - apply for the partnership visa.

Does anyone know if this is in theory do-able??!

Any advice welcome!

Pollyana Sep 11th 2009 7:34 pm

Re: Applying for Partnership/Defacto visa in oz/nz

Originally Posted by estrella30 (Post 7923765)
Hi,

I have been with my kiwi boyfriend for 9 months but we haven't lived together (we spent 6 months together in NZ and for the last 3 he has been working in Germany and me in the UK). We now want to be together either in NZ or OZ and have started looking into the requirements for partnership/defacto visas in these countries.

I have already had working holiday visas for nz and aus so thats not an option. Obviously before we can apply for the partnership visas we need to live together for at least 12 months. Although i believe that its easier in NZ, you can apply for a partnership after 6 months of living together...

so the plan is for us to head over to nz (with me on a 6 month tourist visa) - share a house together, set up a joint bank account etc and before my 6 month visa runs out - apply for the partnership visa.

Does anyone know if this is in theory do-able??!

Any advice welcome!

So are you actually looking at applying for a New Zealand partnership visa or an Aussie Spouse Visa. Certainly once you have 12 months cohabiting you can apply for a Spouse visa for Aus on de facto grounds. So with the original 6 months in NZ, if you know do another 6 months it should be do-able :)

estrella30 Sep 12th 2009 6:23 am

Thanks Pollyanna,

We want to go for the NZ work partnership visa initially because I hear that you can apply after living together for 6 months (where aus is 12 months).
My question is though that is it possible for me to go to NZ on a tourist visa ( 6 month tourist visa) - live with my boyfriend for 6 months and just before the visa runs out, apply for the work partnership visa? I know I obviously couldn't work during this time though....

Pollyana Sep 12th 2009 7:30 am

Originally Posted by estrella30 (Post 7924950)
Thanks Pollyanna,

We want to go for the NZ work partnership visa initially because I hear that you can apply after living together for 6 months (where aus is 12 months).
My question is though that is it possible for me to go to NZ on a tourist visa ( 6 month tourist visa) - live with my boyfriend for 6 months and just before the visa runs out, apply for the work partnership visa? I know I obviously couldn't work during this time though....

OK, now I'm with you. You really need to ask jn the NZ forum rather than the Aus forum so I'll move the thread there :)

Sarah1999 Sep 12th 2009 10:51 am

Re: Applying for Partnership/Defacto visa in oz/nz (moved from Aus forum)

Hello

You have to have lived together for 12 months before applying for the partnership visa in NZ. I've never heard of the 6 month living together requirement.

Are you on the skilled shortage list? You could apply for the migrant visa or secure a job offer and try to get in that way via sponsorship.

Hope this helps. Alternatively you could get a WHV for somewhere like Canada or your B/F could get one for the UK and you coule both live together there for a year and then move to NZ. Just remember to keep all your documentation evidencing you both living in a de facto relationship.:)
Frances

estrella30 Sep 13th 2009 10:03 am

Thanks for the reply.

I heard that for a work permit through partnership it wasn't required to have lived together for 12 months (that is for a pure partnership visa). For a work visa through partnership you just have to show that you are living together and are a stable and ongoing relationship.

I will call immigration and check directly!

Thanks

welshlad77 Sep 20th 2009 4:01 am

as long as you can show them evidence that your in a stable relationship you will be able to get a de facto visa thats what i got at the moment you should get that no problem.