Applying for NZ Citizenship

Old Nov 30th 2010, 4:59 am
Just Joined

sarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nice
Default Applying for NZ Citizenship

Hi, has anyone applied for NZ citizenship. I qualify for the time period as my PR was granted 15 years ago but have only lived back in NZ for the last 3 years but I still can apply now I understand. I want to have dual citizenship with ole blighty too which I also believe is possible. Has anyone else gone through this process?? Stories and tips most welcome - thanks!
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

draig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for NZ Citizenship

Sarah - I am in a simillar boat to you so forgive me if I piggy back on your thread as I also have a few questions......

I have been in NZ 5 years so I am asking myself the question: Should we (wife and I ) go for NZ Citizenship. We both have perminent residency and are fully comitted to a long term future in NZ.

What are the pros and cons?
By doing so will I revoke or give up any privilages with my current British citizenship?
What privilages or comittments do I pick up as a result (apart from a smart passport with a silver fern on the cover).
Anything else we need to consider before taking the plunge?

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

D

Last edited by draig; Nov 30th 2010 at 11:58 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

British citizens may have dual citizenship . NZ and UK.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:03 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah3
Hi, has anyone applied for NZ citizenship. I qualify for the time period as my PR was granted 15 years ago but have only lived back in NZ for the last 3 years but I still can apply now I understand. I want to have dual citizenship with ole blighty too which I also believe is possible. Has anyone else gone through this process?? Stories and tips most welcome - thanks!
You can find everything you need to know out on the Dep. of Internal Affairs website ( http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citizenship-Index )BUT I fear you may need to wait five years now- see this quote from their website:

Important Notices

Applications for Citizenship Received On or After 21 April 2010
The requirements for obtaining New Zealand citizenship by grant changed on 21 April 2010. All applications for the grant of New Zealand citizenship received by the New Zealand Citizenship office on or after 21 April 2010 are assessed against the five year residence requirement.
You can use the Department's handy citizenship calculator to find out if you're eligible: http://www.dia.govt.nz/web/cctool.ns...nship?OpenForm

Originally Posted by draig
Sarah - I am in a simillar boat to you so forgive me if I piggy back on your thread as I also have a few questions......

I have been in NZ 5 years so I am asking myself the question: Should we (wife and I ) go for NZ Citizenship. We both have perminent residency and are fully comitted to a long term future in NZ.

What are the pros and cons?
By doing so will I revoke or give up any privilages with my current British citizenship?
What privilages or comittments do I pick up as a result (apart from a smart passport with a silver fern on the cover).
Anything else we need to consider before taking the plunge?

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

D
Again, see the Dep. website but in a nutshell I think you'd be mad not to if you're committed to being here and your country of origin allows dual citizenship, which as BEVS points out, Britain does.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 6:16 am
Just Joined

sarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nicesarah3 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
You can find everything you need to know out on the Dep. of Internal Affairs website ( http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citizenship-Index )BUT I fear you may need to wait five years now- see this quote from their website:

You can use the Department's handy citizenship calculator to find out if you're eligible: http://www.dia.govt.nz/web/cctool.ns...nship?OpenForm

Again, see the Dep. website but in a nutshell I think you'd be mad not to if you're committed to being here and your country of origin allows dual citizenship, which as BEVS points out, Britain does.
Great info thank you so much (ps I just love Bourbon biccies....oh yum!!) will crack on with the citizenship application just as soon as I get over my craving for some of those biccies!