British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Applying for 2 visa's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/applying-2-visas-816340/)

jodaid Nov 27th 2013 5:58 pm

Applying for 2 visa's

I am just wondering if it's possible to apply for a work to residence visa in addition to a residency visa under SMC? I have been offered a job with a start date of the end of January and am concerned about christmas slowing things down. I am pretty sure I read somewhere it is possible to apply for a work visa while your residency application ticks away in the background, is this true? and does it matter which you apply for first? I figured if WTR application arrives first then my residency application would end up on the 'to do eventually' as a visa would have already been issued. Or do I wait until ITA arrives (assuming it does) and then apply for WTR at the same time? or after?

Cheers for any advice

MrsFychan Nov 27th 2013 6:05 pm

Re: Applying for 2 visa's

My OH had two, well technically it is only one as one negates the other in the end. He had a job offer which required him to start immediately. so we updated the EOI with the job offer and he went to Immigration office in Wellington and got a temp work visa in a day and started work the following day. Only thing this changed on the Skilled Visa application was that he didn't have to met the 3mths requirement as by the time the ITA had been approved he had already worked at the job for 4mths.

Hope that is what you meant ?

BEVS Nov 27th 2013 6:40 pm

We ran 2 visas at the same time.

OH needed to start work , so we applied for a temp work visa and then ran the SMC application in tandem.

The processing of the SMC was not held up in any way by the temp work visa being issued. It just progressed in the usual fashion once the checks were completed.

If you need to be starting work then temp work visa first. Bung in your EOI whenever you feel ready.

jodaid Nov 27th 2013 9:14 pm

Thank you both, that's great. I'll start my WTR visa. It really barrel rolls when it starts doesn't it :lol:

We sent the EOI in today :fingerscrossed:

MrsFychan Nov 27th 2013 10:50 pm

can I ask why you are going got a WTR rather than just a temp work visa? have you looked at the cost difference?

jodaid Nov 28th 2013 6:57 pm

Which specific temp visa should I be getting? Am I going for the wrong one? :( It appears essential skills and WTR are all the same form and subsequent forms. Forms 1015 and 1113 I think? therefore the same cost. I assumed one of the above... Idk, I guess I better have a closer look.

MrsFychan Nov 28th 2013 8:17 pm

If you are going through the skilled migration route then you don't need the work to residency, WTR is just another way to get a visa if the job is not considered Skilled. A temp work visa, I believe can be got for 6mths without a medical or 12mths with one. I assume you have an EOI in the pool and have updated with the job offer so with over 140 points you would be selected next time round. The ITA then needs to be filled in and returned with all the necessary paperwork and medicals. This will not be turned around by the end of January. Do you have family coming over with you? Our experience was OH came over on a visitors visa just to have a look round and was in the right place at the right time and was offered a job, this was in Sept month). He then went to Immigration office here and applied for the temp work visa and was granted one the same day (might be a fluke). He then updated the EOI so it was selected the next selection date, ITA was submitted end of October month. He did not return to UK as planned and myself and the kids had the task of packing up the UK side of things and joined him on visitors visa in January month. Our ITA was approved in the February month.

jodaid Nov 30th 2013 11:26 am

Thank you very much for this info. I can find information, just unsure about the form :( We put our EOI in the day before selection (phew) and it was selected (yay). There will be myself, my husband and 3 children (ages 3, 8 and 10) coming to NZ, but my husband will be settling the kids into school etc before he attempts to find work. We are in process of selling the house and it should be completed in the next couple of weeks. I have people coming in quoting for removals too, so am hoping they can ship everything before christmas. There seems still so much to do and the thought of sorting everything and then not being accepted for residency scares me. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't but until I have that piece of information in my hand I think I will worry.

Sounds like you had a busy time! Everyone keeps telling me its all worthit :)