British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   application hints! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/application-hints-661778/)

viv jones Mar 29th 2010 8:18 pm

application hints!

As I have just finished the process I thought I would make a post on how I found it. I know only too well how stressful it can all be.

My OH and I applied for a Skilled Migrant Visa as teachers so points were okay. However it is so important to get your qualifications recognised by NZQA early on. Don't wait...do it straight away or your EOI will be rejected until the NZQA confirmation is through and that just delays the initial application by 4 to 6 weeks. Organise where and what you have to do for your medical and Police checks as they take waiting time but I suggest you don't actaully "do" them as they cost money and expire so time it carefully. Wait until your ITA comes through as it is only around 3 weeks...just have locations/forms in place ready to go!

Get all the paper work for the ITA together while waiting for the EOI to be processed as this saves lots of time. Just be as thorough as possible and if they ask for two pieces of evidence give 3 or 4. They tend to come back for more if you are thin and it really speeds up the ITA application if it is all there. Don't just think it'll be okay...really give them lots of genuine evidence!

The waiting time if you don't have a job offer is very long at the moment. We submitted mid August 2009 and got a Case Officer 4 months 2 weeks after this in January 2010. There is currently a back log apparently and without a job offer you are at the bottom of the list to be honest. However it does happen and it will only go as fast as the system...you just have to wait! When it gets to the top of the queue the officers I found really helpful and efficient processing things quickly as long as it is all there...and more!!! 4 weeks is realistic if you submit everything and there are no medical referrals etc
I had a sussy reb blood cell count and choose to get a scan done at the outset before the ITA submission as reading posts they always refer for these types of things and that delays around 4 to 6 weeks. As a consequence the application went straight through so with planning some delays can be avoided which keeps the stress levels down!

The system is clear but very drawn out. I don't think you can hurry them and to be fair they are doing a careful job and not just letting everybody in like maybe the UK does...it's not wrong really and if you must be able to support yourself and not end up living off the state as a "visitor". It makes for a better place to move to I guess so hang on in there if you really want to make the move. I kept thinking they are just testing my commitment so do what they ask and wait when need be!!

All the best...we love it and haven't looked back!

shelloid Mar 29th 2010 8:27 pm

Re: application hints!

excellent post....I think you're right, planning is everything. There was some bits and bobs that I made assumptions about and now I know that I really really shouldn't have assumed anything. The assumptions delayed our approval by a couple of months.

Make sure you have got everything done exactly by the book.

Karma to you viv for a helpful post.