British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   application hiccup (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/application-hiccup-614062/)

bevissa65 Jun 10th 2009 1:30 pm

application hiccup

Hi all, just wondering if any of you can allay my worries? Application is being processed and got an e-mail today from CO asking for some more information. I got married breifly in 1995 (very brief about 18 months) when I divorced I was told as I was reverting back to a name I had been known as previously there was no need to formally change my surname-so I just went back to my maiden name and that was never questioned by officialdom. NZIS want formal evidence of my name change:thumbdown:

Next my beloved was landed with the name Robin which he has always hated with a passion and is known to everyone as Rob. Several years ago I filled out passport application for him as Robin, he got a new one and filled it out as Rob, sent it off and it was accepted without a query and NZIS want to see a statutory declaration detailing why and when he changed his name to Rob....:thumbdown:

They also want a new police certificate as the one they have is named Rob and they want one with Robin, but surely with addresses and place of birth it would have picked up if anything was present in either name? HELP, have e-mailed CO telling her all this but are they likely to accept it????? Worrying about something else now Bevissa:sneaky:

TeamEmbo Jun 10th 2009 7:48 pm

Re: application hiccup

I had similar, my maiden name, previous married surname and current married surname. When submitting documents I enclosed my birth certificate, my first marriage certificate, my decree nisi/absolute, my current marriage certificate as these were proof of my history of name changes. All my documents relating such as household bills etc to prove relationship were in my current married name and address as per OH.

You've explained to Immigration about your OH's use of Rob in preference to Robin. Do you have any other documents, probably best with photos that you could provide? Driving licence, work documents, medical, insurance, official certificates, trade certificates - anything at all to prove that Rob and Robin are one in the same?

With the police certificate I would suspect you might need to get another one with his correct birth name to satisfy immigration.

Jan n Neil Jun 10th 2009 8:05 pm

You probably need to provide your marriage cert and divorce papers, to be honest. However, the good news is that this is very easy these days (I had to do it).

The register office where you got wed will provide a copy marriage cert, no questions asked, in less than a week for about £14 (or maybe less). The local council where the court is that you got divorced in, will do a divorce cert for even less.

I am quoting off the top of my head here as I am working away from home, but I can look it all up for you if you want. Better still, they can all be ordered and paid for over t'interweb :thumbup:

You'll be fine, this is a minor hiccup ;)

As for the Rob/Robin thing, in UK law your first name is that by which people know you. Perhaps you could get a letter from a friend who knows him by both names and get him to swear an affidavit?

Some of all this is about the CO covering themselves: I have worked with EU lawyers in big budget projects, and they are even worse than this. Just try to second guess what they will find watertight..

You'll be fine :)

Jan n Neil Jun 10th 2009 8:07 pm

forgot to add, yes I also think you'll need new police cert.

Numptyhead Jun 10th 2009 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by bevissa65 (Post 7651961)
Hi all, just wondering if any of you can allay my worries? Application is being processed and got an e-mail today from CO asking for some more information. I got married breifly in 1995 (very brief about 18 months) when I divorced I was told as I was reverting back to a name I had been known as previously there was no need to formally change my surname-so I just went back to my maiden name and that was never questioned by officialdom. NZIS want formal evidence of my name change:thumbdown:

Next my beloved was landed with the name Robin which he has always hated with a passion and is known to everyone as Rob. Several years ago I filled out passport application for him as Robin, he got a new one and filled it out as Rob, sent it off and it was accepted without a query and NZIS want to see a statutory declaration detailing why and when he changed his name to Rob....:thumbdown:

They also want a new police certificate as the one they have is named Rob and they want one with Robin, but surely with addresses and place of birth it would have picked up if anything was present in either name? HELP, have e-mailed CO telling her all this but are they likely to accept it????? Worrying about something else now Bevissa:sneaky:

Hi Bev

I can't see that there is a major problem here. Just got to jump the bloody hoops again. For reverting back to your maiden name, yes you are right, you didn't need to do a name change deed to revert back. But you do need to do a statutory declaration with regard to this. Also prepare one for Rob
with regards to being known as Rob but actual name is blah, blah.

Its a bugger but you may have to do the Police check again if you didn't include the name Robin on the form. I know its more bloody expense but you can fast track it (£70 ish I think).:frown:

You can prepare the statutory declarations yourself. Print it out and go and see a solicitor or commissioner of oaths. They will get you read it out aloud and sign it. Should charge you only a fiver (£5) for each.

The wording will be something like this....

FORM OF STATUTORY DECLARATION

I, Bevissa ***** of blah (address)

Do solemnly and sincerely declare that my maiden name was ............ I was married ......date and name taken. On my divorce in date I reverted back to my maiden name of ............. I was legally known by this name until my marriage to ....Rob Whatever......and the date.

AND I make this solemn Declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835.

Declared at this day of 20

And signed by me ___________________________________

In the presence of ____________________________________

Signed by Witness ____________________________________
And Designation

Do one for Rob too. PM me if you want, but off to work now...yes more nights, but only 10pm till 7am (Palliative care tonight!)

Maria

A few have posted since I wrote this. I would imagine you had already sent in decree nisi etc

bevissa65 Jun 11th 2009 2:10 pm

At work today so unable to do much. NZIS said my marriage + divorce papers should be enough. Rob (in) has to have declaration and new police certificate and he phoned them today to see if they would use previous copy of passport page cos guess where are passports are?:thumbdown: They were most unhelpful and said he needed to do a whole new application...... Oh well those hoops are getting higher and our pockets emptier:( Thanks all, next chapter to follow soon I'm sure!!!!:thumbsup:

j19fmm Jun 11th 2009 5:04 pm

Never even thought about the name change thing!! I was married,divorced and reverted to my maiden name, married again and kept maiden name , now divorced again and still using my maiden name - it is MY name after all!!! Do you think I'll have to give proof of all of the above? Have I been doing something illegal all these years?? Solicitor never mentioned it:o

bevissa65 Jun 11th 2009 9:08 pm

Hi, I think where all the trouble came from was if you put on your police certificate any other names you have been known as. Our CO said just sending in my old marriage and decree absolute would be enough. If that changes I will post a thread. Good luck:thumbsup: